Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexandercgomez

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2016
United States
Hmm... I really like it.

However I have to say, that I'm not really a fan of rounded things trough, because of the worst-utilized space posibble.

Thank you opeter .. would be grateful if you can share it :) .. appreciate you comments .. I guess some like round, some like square and triangle hahha .. When building this we optimism the design and try to utilized as much space as possible. The total volume in this case is 9.7 lt which is one of the smallest in its class .. Having the GPU back to motherboard does utilize space :)

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Can you make a brief video to showcase the case itself? Like an amateur video going in depth so we can really get a feel of it.

alexandercgomez

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2016
United States
Can you make a brief video to showcase the case itself? Like an amateur video going in depth so we can really get a feel of it.

Hi Phonzoxd .. We're in the midst of some engineering, and we hope to get to that shortly too! We think people would really like to see it in action.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Thanks JarScott.. Really appriciate your deepest concerns .. When doing this mate I wanted to have a new approach to the PC using standard PC parts. If you look at what I have done the inside of the case is original and the door to access cable management and HDD is like no other and innovative. This is simply a PC case not a desktop computer with a triangular heat sink and custom parts... many readers have expressed there concerns to me but only researched at a glance. I have quite a lot of time with legal advisers out of my own pocket before moving forward. As said this is a PC Case not a desktop computer and there had been prior art before 2013 that is cylindrical design .. once again thanks for your concern :)

My issue with this is that it isn't a 'unique vision' or anything like that. You saw Apple's 'different' Mac Pro case and thought..."How do I put a PC in there?" Then you worked around that. If you'd have stopped there, it would be fine. It's the fact you're attempting to profit off of designs that are in no way original. Just because it has a fan grill on the top and the door opens differently, it isn't an original design. Why can't people put more effort into creating something new than just profiting off of someone else's ideas? You should work for Samsung. ;)

Deepest respect to you though, for coming on to a forum and defending yourself and the product. You've not convinced me though and I still believe you should tread very carefully when and if this product gets funded. Apple will likely not be far behind you. You clearly have some great ideas and potential in this market and I just believe your time is better spent on something totally new.

Last edited:

Hyperminded

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
Or just get this for about the same amount of money and it includes the pc.
image.jpeg

http://m.banggood.com/G2-PRO-Win10-...GHz-32GB-Storage-DDR3L-2GB-RAM-p-1000619.html

If the Mac mini ever gets upgraded I could see a 3D printed case design develop for the DIY types that still want and need a Mac. I'd prob be interested in doing that myself.

gigichan000

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
Hi all, I m new to this forum. I just read an article that lead me here from other site. This project is awesome. I do have to agree that it looks similar to the Mac Pro and the Mac Pro looks very similar to the rubbish bin. Is there any patents on the rubbish bin?

pratttrashcan_macpro.jpg

Reactions: manni and trifid

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
[doublepost=1455986460][/doublepost]
The reason Apple went with a cylinder for the Mac Pro is because the components were designed to fit in a cylinder.

Simply shoving standard PC component into a cylindrical case isn't quite the same. And the fact that it look so eerily similar to the Mac Pro is weird. There's no doubt that they are trying to emulate the body of the Mac Pro. It isn't an accident.

There are plenty of small Mini-ITX cases in all shapes and sizes that support more than two SSDs and tiny video cards. You can get them that even support watercooling.

Yet none are round that I can find.
[doublepost=1455986675][/doublepost]Well I liked it and I backed it.

Hey Guys .. Thanks for all the comments here .. let me address a few of the concerns .. First thanks for your interest. It has been one year in the making. Using standard parts was a challenge to fit inside a cylindrical case. There were so many suggestions to say "yeah good enough, it works" but it didnt satisfy me. I wanted this to be tidy and easy to access. Ofcourse there are going to be limitations with size. but we were able to create this case the best of our ability and one year later you have dune case.

Lets talk about the design. First the parts used in this case can only be mini ITX and SFX psu. All small factor. We design this from the ground up.

The front panel is a custom built pcb with custom sized cables that feed to your motherboard and GPU. these connectors are also custom build so that is has enough clearance to mount. The cable from the front panel is channeled to the psu holder and then through the middle of the case and to the peripherals. The front panel will also have a mini display port options if you perfer that.

The PSU holder is very unique. This houses the PSU and also isolates the air flow into two sections of the case, CPU and GPU. The air then travels through these sections and the 140mm fan on top of the case helps pull the hot air through.

I have spent a year building this case. When doing this we did do our due diligence and seek professional legal advice. And based on that we spent one year building something for the community.

I hope you all like what we have done. We have had this ready for production and no short cuts have been made in design. This case is made out of high grade aluminum and not sheet metal like many PC cases. This is simply a different take on the PC case. Days of discussion has been talked about from connectors, placement of mobo, gpu, cable management and thermals. Please rest assure we looked at all that and it took one year not 1 months for a quick sale.

Here are some picutres of the 4 prototypes. One year later we have the Dune case.

Stage-1.jpg

Stage-2.jpg

Stage-3.jpg

Stage-4.jpg

Stage-5.jpg

psu-unveil-1.png

I hope you can all support kickstarter and any questions i am happy to answer.

Thanks
[doublepost=1455986797][/doublepost]
The community in question being a group of people looking for a Mac Pro knockoff...

Ah, no..we're looking to have some fun with a cool case design.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Tags. Menu search. All My Files. Auto save and Time Machine. Airdrop. Continuity. Quick Preview. AppleScript. Stationary Pad*. Renaming, moving, and locking files from within an app (by clicking on the title). Standard menu location for Preferences**. All the extra characters and options that are available through the option-key. Most applications don't leave a huge mess across your drive.

*File setting which makes the OS open a copy rather than the original. It's a simple yet handy little feature which has actually been part of Mac OS since the early days.

**This may sound trivial, but it drives me a nuts always having to locate the preferences for a particular app in Windows. Sometimes it will be buried in File, other times in Edit, etc etc.

Windows has similar constructs.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Mate, Apple and PC fanboys alike have thier reservations about this design/compromise .

Most PC fanboys will not touch this crap case, not cause of it looks, but cause is crap what they can run in it . Sorry most people take functionality over design. Lots of Apple fanboys really don't like the new pro ...

I know. I'm not making fun of those folks.

Reactions: MH01

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Hi There rwh202 ... I just pulled the CAD out and the top plate looks like this with the mess taken off... The dimensions here is L150 mm x H140 mm x W13 mm..

We based it from the thermalright 140mm fan...

http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/fan/ty-14013r.html?panel=0

I hope this helps

Thanks - the fan is using 120mm mounting points so that will definitely help, but I'd imagine vertical clearance being a bit tight for fan and radiator.

Anyway, good luck with the campaign and I look forwards to seeing it in the flesh!

Reactions: alexandercgomez

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Hey Guys .. Thanks for all the comments here .. let me address a few of the concerns .. First thanks for your interest. It has been one year in the making. Using standard parts was a challenge to fit inside a cylindrical case. There were so many suggestions to say "yeah good enough, it works" but it didnt satisfy me. I wanted this to be tidy and easy to access. Ofcourse there are going to be limitations with size. but we were able to create this case the best of our ability and one year later you have dune case.

Lets talk about the design. First the parts used in this case can only be mini ITX and SFX psu. All small factor. We design this from the ground up.

The front panel is a custom built pcb with custom sized cables that feed to your motherboard and GPU. these connectors are also custom build so that is has enough clearance to mount. The cable from the front panel is channeled to the psu holder and then through the middle of the case and to the peripherals. The front panel will also have a mini display port options if you perfer that.

The PSU holder is very unique. This houses the PSU and also isolates the air flow into two sections of the case, CPU and GPU. The air then travels through these sections and the 140mm fan on top of the case helps pull the hot air through.

I have spent a year building this case. When doing this we did do our due diligence and seek professional legal advice. And based on that we spent one year building something for the community.

I hope you all like what we have done. We have had this ready for production and no short cuts have been made in design. This case is made out of high grade aluminum and not sheet metal like many PC cases. This is simply a different take on the PC case. Days of discussion has been talked about from connectors, placement of mobo, gpu, cable management and thermals. Please rest assure we looked at all that and it took one year not 1 months for a quick sale.

Here are some picutres of the 4 prototypes. One year later we have the Dune case.

Stage-1.jpg

Stage-2.jpg

Stage-3.jpg

Stage-4.jpg

Stage-5.jpg

psu-unveil-1.png

I hope you can all support kickstarter and any questions i am happy to answer.

Thanks

It's funny; even this this post you don't mention how everyone is acknowledging that you completely coppied the Mac Pro. It's almost as if you REALLY think this is an innovative design. Like you came up with something fresh, and original. Do you really think that?

I'd like to see how you address the fact that this is almost exactly like the Mac Pro, in design, instead of pretending that it's not.

HELL! Even the video is the way Apple does theirs.

Last edited:

alexandercgomez

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2016
United States
Thanks - the fan is using 120mm mounting points so that will definitely help, but I'd imagine vertical clearance being a bit tight for fan and radiator.

Anyway, good luck with the campaign and I look forwards to seeing it in the flesh!

Thanks rwh202 .. Really appreciate the encouragement and comments ...

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Was made.

Uh huh... So you've stated a statistic in the form of an extremely rough estimation and that's what you call a point. Got it.

Now let me state one. 90% of PCs on the market are low quality junk and/or have low quality parts in or on them. Microsoft lisensed their OS so sadly, you have tons and tons of junk PC hardware out there. Apple didn't, so it's all very high quality. So the idea that perhaps there are 90% of PCs in the world, over 10% Macs, isn't saying anything posivitve and is nothing to be proud of.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

opethian

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
This should give you a better idea on airflow and positioning of parts
psu-unveil-1.png

case-door.png

GPU.png

MB.png
Honestly liked how u managed this space
Why don't u add few more designs to ur company future projects
Like a taller version of same which allows use of water cooler like corsair h80i at the top which can be used either by CPU or GPU which come with water blocks
And an itx case with square shape n rounded edges
I mean would u like that ur company be remembered which created cases which looked like Mac pro?
Lian Li, Corsair n many other case manufacturer companies r making amazing things so I hope one day u will also add few more radical designs

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Windows has similar constructs.
I do still frequently use Windows, TYVM. Some of these things can be pulled off in that OS, but not as easily. You can put tags into files, but to do so you have to go into their properties one-by-one. You can enter all these special characters on the keyboard, but you have to type a four digit number on the numpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.