dungeon siege for relatively new mac user.....

Discussion in 'Games' started by saunders45, Jul 29, 2004.

1. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
    I just puchased my first mac(15" 1.5 PB w/superdrive,64 mb vram 512ram) although not the first mac i have used( 2 at work and 1 work let me take home). My question is, any of you running this game on a similar system. and also, is it compatible with the pc version?

Thanks and i look forward to speaking with you all.

P.S. I should also mention that I'm not a noob with computers( graphic design, video authoring, web design) so I understand the technical aspect that it should run ok.... just wanna hear some real life people.
  2. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I played Dungeon Siege on my sister's 500 MHz Dual USB iBook. I got 15 to 7 FPS. (You can check your FPS by turning on one the option in one of the settings).

Currently, I got back into DS and I play it on my 800 MHz G4 iMac. I can reach 30 FPS and fall back to 10 FPS when I'm in villages. I play at 800 x 600 @32 bit and turned up the details to the max.

The game is quite playable when it drops below 30 FPS because it isn't a first person shooter and you really don't have to move very fast. Heck, even at the 7 FPS is just bearable on the iBook.

I expect that PB to easily get above 30 FPS constantly.
  3. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I have this game for my old G4 450. I had no problems with it t'all.
    I did have a 64 meg video card in it though.
  4. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
    I played it on my 1.25 GHz PB. I didn't notice any problems when I did play it, even when mass monsters showed up.
  5. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    Actually you might get better speeds if you up your resolution. Why? Becuase you are using an LCD it has to interpolate the graphics to scale it down to a non-native resolution. This requires extra work on the graphics card.
  6. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    Yes, upping that to the 'default' resolution supported by your powerbook will speed up graphics immensely.

Just for 'fun', I tried to play halo on my pbook 12inch - it just stuttered about on lower resolutions like 640x480, I couldn't even move around much, and this was with everything turned down.

Once I switched to using 1024 x 768, however, it became playable enough to move around quite smoothly - I managed to play the first level through, but after arriving on the planet and meeting the monsters group I gave up - it's no fun to be blown away all the time because you can't aim for the stutter of it.

So switching to the default lcd resolution is definitely recommened.
  7. comictimes macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    It runs fine on my 1.25 ghz powerbook (no lag at all), and if I remember correctly it ran quite well on my old 767mhz powermac, so you should be fine ;)
  8. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
    thanks guys....

sounds like i'll be ok for occasional gaming on trips then. Thanks guys.
  9. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
    but have any of you played a multiplayer game with a pc from it? I was wondering if this game will do that.
  10. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I did check. 1024 x 768 made me lose a couple of FPS. I probably should try dropping it to 640 x 480 and check again. I know I could change it 1440 x 900 and take advantage of my iMac's widescreen, so perhaps I should try that, too. ;)

Multiplayer is Mac to Mac only. Sorry. But blame Microsoft for using their proprietary networking resources.

EDIT: After giving the 1440 x 900 resolution a try, I can conclude it doesn't actually fit the screen properly. The bars on either side. It dropped a few more in FPS. So, it's not worth it.