Dungeon Siege sans CD

Discussion in 'Games' started by SilentPanda, Jan 5, 2004.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The only games I have for my Mac are Warcraft III and Dungeon Siege (just picked it up Friday for $20 at Best Buy!). I can get Warcraft III to work without the CD by creating a disc image and mounting it when needed. For some reason this doesn't seem to work with Dungeon Siege. I have tried using Disc Utility in Panther and also using Toast 5 in Panther but neither seems to work. Has anybody had any luck? I haven't found any no CD patches and I'm not really keen on using them.

In Disc Utility I made a DVD/CD Image with the same name as disc 2 of dungeon siege. Similar thing in Toast 5.

Mainly I want to make the disc image so I don't have to find the CD, nor will I have to waste battery on spinning the drive (although Dungeon Siege doesn't seem to spin the drive that much).

Also does anybody know of an Apple Script that could mount a disc image then launch an application? I can't seem to write one to save my life (although if I was trying to save my life I might try a lot harder). Thanks!

2. lynnpye macrumors member

Re: Dungeon Siege sans CD

Hi SilentPanda,

I had a similar problem with MoO3. I tried the cdrecord package from Fink (both the stable and unstable versions) as well as the DiskUtility under Panther.

Anyway, I tried Toast 6 Titanium and created a Toast image. Then I use Toast 6 to mount the image. Oddly it creates two images on my desktop and they appear identical. Anyway, I can launch MoO3 (Masters of Orion 3) diskless, making it easier to travel with my PowerBook and not have to bring CD's with me.

I have a copy of Dungeon Siege, but not installed (I had to blow away and reinstall Panther fresh, losing my apps in the process). I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

Regards,

Lynn

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I tried to play almost all my games (all 6 of them) using the disk image method, and only one worked (NOLF) the rest, well, asked for a CD not matter what I did.

4. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I actually just e-mailed MacSoft to see if they'd tell me. I really really doubt they will but... who knows... at worst they'll sue me for trying to circumvent copy protection... :)

5. lynnpye macrumors member

FYI, I reinstalled DS last night and tried Disk Utility. I'm running Panther 10.3.2. No luck. So then I tried the Toast 6 approach. Recall that with MoO3, DU failed but Toast 6 worked. Well, it didn't work for DS. So apparently the protection scheme DS is using is different from that used by MoO3.

I have not yet attempted to use readcd from the cdrecord package, though I expect it won't help much either since from what I gather it also relies on the IOServices from Apple, which I suspect T6 and DU do as well.

6. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Thanks for giving it a try (especially with Toast 6)... I was thinking about upgrading just to see if it'd work but now I don't have to. I'll post in this thread if I find out anything.

7. lynnpye macrumors member

Further poking...SUCCESS!

Okay, here's an update. I'm playing around with a droplet to allow me to mount .toast files without having to actually start Toast. I find that there is a command line utility called ToastImageMounter in the Toast.app package. After playing around a bit I finally tried mounting the Dungeon Siege toast image with the -hybrid flag via this command line utility.

After doing so, I was able to run DS with no errors about not having provided the CD. So then I used Finder to eject. I noticed, however, that the image did not actually unmount properly. The disk is actually multi session and the first session didn't unmount, so I had to use hdiutil to eject it.

Furthermore, before any of this worked, I think I ended up installing their kernel extension via the TDIXSupport command line utility, also in the Toast package.

So, to summarize, through a non obvious set of command line passes, it is possible to capture a Toast image of the DS disk and mount it enabling you to play DS diskless.

If you want the actual details, email me at lynn AT-symbol pyehouse DOT com.

8. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I managed to get this working just fine with Toast 5.2 after the above posters instructions for Toast 6 (with minors changes). If anybody needs assistance please feel free to e-mail me (my e-mail is in my profile). Or if it's okay with the mods we could post them here too. All it really is is instructions on how to mount a hybrid image.

9. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

CD copy protection is one of my biggest pet peeves for playing games and such.

CDs tend to be slower than the hard drive, plus, if you are playing on a laptop, thats an extra draw of power.