Dungeons, Dragons and Role Play, Oh my!?

Discussion in 'Games' started by eclipse525, Dec 6, 2003.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I need some advice on a good Role Playing game. My brother presently has played Diablo but is looking for another similar game to buy. I would like to get it for him as a XMas present. If he likes that game, what others do you highly recommend, being that they don't have any others in the Diablo series. Here are some I've come across.

• Lineage
    • Dungeon Siege
    • Baldur's Gate II
    • Heroes IV
    • Shadowbane
    • Neverwinter Nights

I have no clue what's good in this genre. I need your help. It's got to be as good or better than Diablo. Thanks a bunch!

PS- oh yeah, OS X compatible. I know, Duh!

~e

2. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Well Lineage and Shadowbane are both MMORPGs so you must understand that additional monthly fees will apply. Heroes IV is not really an RGP as it is a stratedy title in my opinion. Of those games I would recommend Dungeon Siege or Neverwinter Nights. Neverwinter Nights in particular has received excellent reviews from Mac magazines like Macworld and Macaddict.

3. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: Dungeons, Dragons and Role Play, Oh my!?

Everquest. Get him to level up an account, when he gets tired of it, sell it on www.playerauctions.com :D

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Neverwinter Nights is a quality game. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction is fun if he's only played the first one.

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Either Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate II are great choices. I've played both and they're absolutely brilliant games.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Of those, I've played Heroes IV and Dungeon Siege. Maclarny is right, Heroes IV is more of a strategy game. Dungeon Siege is like a souped-up Diablo, but a lot more entertaining, imo. I started playing it a few days ago. BTW, does anyone know if I could play across the internet with some PC friends?

7. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Thanks for the advice......Baldur's Gate II and Neverwinter Nights, seem to be the popular choices. What's the deal with the Diablo series? Did they just discontinue that game? I thought it was a popular series?

~e

8. job macrumors 68040

job

Nah...Blizzard hasn't discontinued the Diablo series. Blizzard, the developer of the Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo series of games usually cycles through the different game worlds. Right now they have released Warcraft III and are preparing to release World of Warcraft so they are refreshing the Warcraft series right now. I'm expecting a Starcraft refresh before a new version of Diablo though.

There will be another Diablo game, on that you can be sure. Blizzard won't let a cash cow like that just die. ;)

9. kaosfere macrumors member

No, you can't. They use different network protocols. Yes, it sucks.

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

kaosfere:

Some games can be played cross-platform on the LAN. Neverwinter Nights can for certain, but I'm not sure what others of our list (if any) can.

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

You know, it seems to me that they would sell a lot more mac-version games if they made them cross-playable with pc. Who's in charge of this mess?

Hello? McFly?

12. kaosfere macrumors member

I'm sure the porters would love to be able to ship Mac games that can talk to PCs; blame it on the original developers who use MSFT's DirectPlay, which isn't available for Mac.

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I should have known Microsoft was involved somehow. "I know guys, let's invent a 'standard' that works on *less* computers instead of all computers."

Oh well, I guess this is one of the sacrifices we have to make for having a superior system. :D