Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
in the notes application, the "all on my mac" group contains a ridiculous number of duplicates. the "all icloud" group shows the most up to date version and matches across devices as expected. the problem is that by default every time you launch the application, "all notes" is selected, which includes the "all on my mac" garbage.

is there any way to get rid of this? its really frustrating.

thanks.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
happens to me too periodically (my theory is, when i edit a note offline, ie the subway, i sometimes get 2 copies when i get back online).

a nuisance, and i just wind up deleting the dupes.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
yeah it definitely looks like some sort of versioning behaviour, except instead of getting the occassional duplicate, mine is totally out of control and generating half a dozen copies of most of my notes.

and of course a note is named based on the first line, so if i happened to have changed the first line at some point, its not even readily evident from looking at the notes list which items are in fact duplicates.

how silly is it that osx touts a built-in system-wide versioning/autosave system, and one of their own apps has a completely messy non-conforming alternative method of managing versions of its files? its either expected behaviour, which is by-design terrible, or its a bug which demonstrates how little effort they put into bugfixing a released piece of software in lieu of just cranking out the next paid upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.