Duplicate Open With Programmes.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MRU, Jul 11, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

When I control click on an item and choose open with, things like itunes, quiktime and such are duplicated 2 or 3 times.

Any one know of a solution to this irritation :)

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Wait, you're saying that when you do "Open with", you get multiple copies of the app in your Dock?

This almost certainly means that you've got multiple copies installed somewhere on your computer (perhaps an attached backup or a "Previous Systems" folder?), and when you "Open With", you're getting the wrong one.

Try this: When you've got two icons in the dock, control-click on each and choose "Show in Finder" from the popup. If the two are not in the same application, then obviously you have multiple copies floating around and either the one in your dock or the one "Open With" is using is wrong.

Either delete the stray copies, or point "Open with" to the right one specifically to resolve this.

[Edit: Whoops... looks like Yellow identified the problem while I was typing my post, and it wasn't what I was talking about. If that doesn't fix it then maybe it's what I just said, but that sounds more likely.]