Duplicating a drive using DiskUtility?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brianus, Mar 1, 2006.

1. brianus macrumors 6502

I'm looking to upgrade my PowerMac G4's 40GB drive to a 120GB that's just been freed up in the office. For various reasons, I'm not interested in simply adding the 120GB as a second drive -- I want to transfer the entire contents of the 40 to the 120 and have it run as before. I know there are apps that can perform this transfer, but I'm interested in using the built in capabilities of OSX instead. Is there a safe, reliable way to do this using DiskUtility?

I do recall one occasion in which I was unable to install Tiger on an older PowerMac that couldn't read DVDs, so I used DiskUtility to transfer the bootable image of the Tiger DVD to a small external firewire drive, and was able to install that way. Could it be that simple for transferring an entire drive too?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Disk Utility has an option called "Restore", which is in effect, the same thing as CCC or SuperDuper.

However, I must say, the 3 times I've atttempted to use "Restore" to clone a disk, it's failed every time. And we're talking 3 different disks in 3 different Macs of 3 different types. That was enough to strike out for me on every using "Restore" again.

IMO, "Restore" sucks and you should use SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. Neither has ever failed me the hundreds (yes hundreds) of times I've used them.

Or you can invesitage "ditto" in the command line, since that what all of them use anyway. Maybe sure you keep your resource forks.