Durability thoughts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Willy S, May 29, 2005.

1. Willy S macrumors 6502

All of my PCs have died before I wanted to replace them. So I wonder how it is with Apples and which models are likely to last longer than others?

Do the desktops last longer than the laptops or is there no rule of thumb with current models?

I don´t think that current computers will get obsolete very soon and since I use my computer around 12 hours a day, durability is an issue for me.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In general, desktops last longer than laptops because
    - they are not as susceptible to overheating
    - fewer moving parts (hinge, keyboard)
    - parts are easier to replace and less expensive
    - no expensive battery
    - not subject to being moved about, dropped, moved from a freezing cold car to a warm moist office, or stolen.

The main killer on a laptop is if the screen goes, or two parts like the battery and the keyboard for example, it's often hard to justify paying many $100's for repair as opposed to getting a new unit.

I have 8 year old Macs in constant operation.

The other thing that drives replacement is updated expectations -- if you want the latest OS with the latest programs, that will force you into a new machine sooner or later, regardless the old machine is in perfect working condition.

3. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I´m not in the race for the latest and fastest. I just want the computer to work for some years and be able to support the Tiger replacement when it arrives. Don´t need it to last more than 3-4 years but hate when it fails after just 18 months or so.

It is also frustrating when your computer brakes and need to be fixed, e.g. when you are in a middle of project and don´t have time for anything else. I also like stable computers. Although I backup regularly, there is always some work that is lost, even though it is just serveral hours.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have a Power Mac G4 that is four and a half years old. It rune 24/7 and is still going strong. I have seen some old Power Mac G3 that are still in use at local hospitals and universities.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

We have six-year-old Sawtooth G4's in our publishing office running OS X Server without a hitch. One for database serving, one for our production person, one for folding. ;)

They really are much more indestructable than PC's.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Every mac I have ever owned and lost was from giving away to friends or putting them up for sale. PCs on the other hand, I just junked some of them or some component broke down, so I just threw it away.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Lacero is a "giver," who woulda figured? :p ;) :D :eek:

8. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

My 6 year old Yikes G4 is going strong it is on all day everyday and used fairly intensly.Compared to PC's macs are indestructable and if something goes wrong it is usually very easy to fix and wont be a major problem...

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

My 1st gen iMac, circa 1997 is still running fine.

Ever Wonder why Apple products cost more?

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They cost more? ;)

Desktops last longer.

But are you looking at laptops or desktops? If you want a laptop, the iBook is very durable in terms of taking damage. Yes, it scratches, but its better than the easily dentable and crackable Powerbook. On the other hand, the technology on the iBook isn't bound to last you for 3-4 years. If you buy an iBook now, it's already behind in that it doesn't have a CoreImage compatible card, and it only has 32MB of vRAM, so if you wanted something that can run the next Mac OSX 10.5, you'd be better off with a Powerbook, although the 32-bit G4 would make both laptops seem ancient, you'd think.

Anyway, the Powerbook is better in my opinion, but just don't drop it. :)

11. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

This is the reason Apple is upgrading the lowends now and the reason why I don´t want to buy either iBook or Mini at this point. They don´t support Tiger 100% and thus 10.5 will be a problem. Thus, I think a 64mb graphics card is the minimum now if you want to be able to use your computer for the next coming years.