Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Hey, Have not posted in a while. I recently got a new Macbook Air (my second mac) and I went to use my Magic Mouse that I hadn't used in a few months. The Magic Mouse (I guess the prior version without the rechargeable batteries) was not working so I checked the batteries, my Duracell batteries that expire in 2020something had leaked all over the inside of the mouse. I removed the batteries and cleaned the contacts as best as I could and luckily the mouse still "works". However the battery cover has a damaged bottom from the leak. I guess I have a few things
1) Does anyone have experience with Duracell replacing damaged goods
2) Do you know if Duracell would replace this
3) Warning, Duracell batteries do leak

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Wow. I've never seen any my Duracells leak and assumed that they didn't. I'll have to be more careful from now on. Thanks for the info!

In regards to whether they replace damaged goods, I have no idea but I would definitely email or call them to ask.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
That expiration date isn't a guarantee that the battery won't leak before that date. What it is is the manufacturer saying "before this date, the battery will have full 'charge', after this date all bets are off". The batteries should still be safe to use after the "expiration" date, you just may not get full capacity from them.

As for compensation, it looks like they very well might help you out.
www.duracell.com/en-us/guarantee

However, I'd leave out the part about not using the device for a few months, they advise removing batteries from devices when they won't be used for extended periods.
Battery Care and Disposal | Duracell

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Hey everyone, I should have clarified not that it makes a difference that it was just over a month. Anyway I just called them and could not be any more impressed with how they handled the call. The wait time was very short and I had very few automated menus to go through. The person seemed very personable and not "on script" she outline various options we could take (eg. mailing it in, etc). Anyway they are mailing me a $99 MasterCard to replace the magic mouse (they won't pay tax, OK)- Kinda funny seeing how the new one has a rechargeable battery. This fortunately was also the first/only time I had Duracell batteries leak, I am glad I pay the premium for them after the way they handled this and will continue to purchase them. In my opinion they are much much more reliable then Kirkland batteries.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Wow... I have to say I'm impressed. Makes we want to buy Duracells if I need batteries.

Glad you got reimbursed.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Wow. That's fantastic. I've always chosen Duracells over other brands of batteries and this will just make me an even more loyal customer.

Thanks for the follow up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.