Dust...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iGary, Feb 9, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm one of those folks who takes unbelievably good care of their machines.

The ol' iBook gets a magic eraser and polish every couple of weeks, the display gets wiped down frequently, and I blow the dust out of the PowerMac once every two weeks.

BUT

Yesterday, I decided to unplug everything and really give the PowerMac a real cleaning.

I blew air in the back towrd the front, through the heatsink toward the back, underneath the heatsink and all over.

Now - the key is - run hot water from your tap over the canned air canister you use and it turns the can into Turbo Air™ I got out about twice as much dust as usual, and my CPU temp dropped 15 degrees Farenheit.

Love your Mac. :D

2. dcv macrumors G3

Anybody? No? Dust.

Sorry to post an o/t remark but the thread title reminded me of one of my favourite Little Britain sketches :D

you can watch it here if you're interested!

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Just be careful with compressed air around optical drives, floppy drives and zips. Bottled air shot directly into a drive can exert enough force to bend the head assembly and b0rk the drive.

4. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Good tip. I stay clear of my optical drive. It's fussy enough as it is. :rolleyes:

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

:D Funny. I thought this too.

So, iGary, the G5 is running ok now?

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Every half year I use my vacuum cleaner to clean out my G5. It's really necassary, and I know I really shouldn't be doing ths with the vacuum cleaner. But after the clean, she is much quiter and my other problem also disappeared, kernal panics! Probably one of the processors got too hot.

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I haven't tried to put it to sleep yet. I'm sure if I did, it would lock up.

I have the energy settings set so it puts itself to sleep.

I'm waiting for a more opportune moment to send it in, if there is one. But yeah, it runs wonderfully when it's up. :eek:

9. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Why would you do that?

10. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

The hot water makes the air inside the can expand, thereby increasing the pressure of the jet when you spray the can.

11. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I am the same way however i have not done the hot water thing before. But I keep a can of air on my desk at all times. I use it about once or twice a week. I have also not tried the magic eraser, but I plan to as soon as I get home. It works wonders on everything else.