Dutch Officials Set to Open 11 iPad-Only 'Steve Jobs Schools' for Children

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 2, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Last year, we reported on a Dutch proposal to launch so-called "Steve Jobs schools" for children, offering a peek at of Jobs' vision of how the iPad could help remake the educational experience.

Spiegel now follows up (via AppleInsider) with a new report discussing the country's plans to open 11 such schools this August.
    The article highlights the flexible nature of the schools with a look at an upcoming school being prepared in the city of Breda. The school building itself will be open from 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM every day of the year except Christmas and New Year's Day, with children free to come and go as they please as long as they are present during the core school day that runs from 10:30 AM to 3:00 PM.

Under the model of individualized instruction, students will learn through iPad apps at their own pace, with teachers serving as coaches to help them reach goals and advance to subsequent levels.
    Teachers, children, and parents meet to discuss goals for each six-week period, setting up standards to help students gain the knowledge and skills to move on to the next level.

Dutch researcher Maurice de Hond, the man behind the initiative, believes that the number of schools should grow to at least forty next year, with the schools being publicly funded and open to all children and subsidies available to families unable to afford an iPad.

Article Link: Dutch Officials Set to Open 11 iPad-Only 'Steve Jobs Schools' for Children
  2. macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2008
    Well, why even bother? Just go all out and let the kids grade themselves. This WOULD NOT work over hear BTW. Just saying.
  3. macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2007
    That's bold. Really curious to see how this turns out.
  4. macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2008
    Can you say "Angry Birds God?" These 4 year olds will rock dem birds like no other.
  5. macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Jan 7, 2012
    From my experience "go at your own pace" schools just make people slack off and fall below average.
  6. macrumors G4

Jun 12, 2012
    could not agree more. There is a point where trying to be "too forward" thinking is actually backtracking....and this is it.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2009
    I wouldn't send my kids there. They get enough electronics time at home. I want a strong teacher presence to guide and help them learn not apps and games.
  8. macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2008
    I was going to post some snarky comment, but then I saw the kid on the right.
  9. macrumors 68040

Jun 26, 2009
    Burpelson AFB
    Yes, some things do not scale well. The Dutch have the benefit of a smaller, tighter society. It could work quite well there.
  10. JGRE, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Oct 10, 2011
    Dutch Mountains
    Don't believe everything you read, the initiative is from private people, Dutch authorities are strongly against this.
  11. macrumors member

Oct 10, 2006
    And they will never be able to write legibly on paper or do math, likewise?

Great. This will be the generation in charge of my life when I'm old and fall and break my hip....
  12. macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2009
    Now THIS is a progression in education.

13. macrumors 68020

May 23, 2011
    I worry about humanity

we have a generation that can't write a letter (but they text like crazy), and now this...
  14. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Nov 8, 2008
    Florida, U.S.A.
    You really think it wouldn't work?
    It's already happening in the U.S. it's call homeschooling using computers instead of iPads, but that's gradually changing.
    And no, students don't grade themselves. If they don't do it right, they will get bad grades. Actually, as soon as the tutor sees a student lacking, parents get notified.
  15. macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2003
    So am I as well. My guess is a few students will literally thrive in this environment but the majority will be greatly hindered as most children do need structure and direction. For those few with drive toward self starting or those with an inquisitive nature, I would expect the children to excel.

I hope they screen the children well to get the right ones in the program.
  16. macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2009
    Der Wald
    The good....speeds mental development. The bad...the "world" becomes an lcd device....AND...they discover Facebook for Kids.
  17. macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2013
    21st century learning

This is an early attempt at 21st century learning. Replace the teacher from his/her traditional role to that of a facilitator. There are many problems with this. This technology(idea) comes from college & industry. No one else is there, yet. For those with the drive(& money), it is great. However, not everyone is going to buy into this type of learning. People(children) still need to be lead. There is a need and reason for structure. 99% of current teachers in the US are not ready to teach in this format. Administrators are in the dark as well. There is no training as such, unless that individual goes out and pursues it himself/herself. Money is tight in schools. The current plan for most districts is BYOD. Yes, LAUSD recently purchased $30 million in Ipads for their schools. However, that is not the norm. Teacher grad schools are not teaching this to any great degree, either. Private schools can do what they want and they are the ones who are pushing forward. Many parents, students, and the public think that a smartphone is 21st century learning but that is not the case. Social media does not help in the learning process. 21st century, blended, and online learning came out of colleges & universities where these institutions have already been paid. So, it is up to the student to push themselves to get the grade. That is where is will stay, for the most part. IMHO.
  18. macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2005
  19. macrumors member

Dec 2, 2011
    As somebody who works in the technology side of school districts, I can say with absolute certainty that this comment quoted above nailed it 100%.
  20. macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I imagine these school being shut down before the first school year ends.

How will this work?
  21. macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
  22. macrumors 68040

Sep 16, 2007
    Albuquerque, USA
    I would think a Steve Jobs school would involve a lot more acid.
  23. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Nov 8, 2008
    Florida, U.S.A.
    Maybe because the Dutch press is busy reporting on German related news
  24. macrumors 6502a

Oct 10, 2011
    Dutch Mountains
    Yes, but our tight society does not allow such things without approval of Dutch government.
  25. macrumors 604

Feb 23, 2010
    Till they lose their gadget and can't do anything without it.