DV to MP4 question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikeheenan, Jul 28, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

I have a bunch of home movies (some were VHS to DV, some were DV exclusive) in DV format. They generally take up a lot of space, so I was toying around with converting them to h264 at a high bitrate. I know HD space is cheap these days but it seems like a waste for that much space. These are videos that won't be edited in the future, and I am of course keeping the original tapes for preservation purposes. I have also toyed around with the idea of going back to the original tapes and capturing to h264 directly, if that's possible. Anyone have any recommendations ? Thanks!

2. macrumors member

I just did this with a bunch of my home movies from an old widescreen, standard definition DVD camcorder. I used ffmpegx and upconverted to 720p HD for importing into FCPX and editing alongside other native 720p H.264 footage. Works pretty well. In ffmpegx I used the MP4 preset, 25000kbps bitrate, video size 1280x720, with the deinterlace filter enabled, and the ffmpeg options high quality and two-pass encoding. If your source footage is 4x3 DV rather than 16x9, you could probably windowbox the conversion.

3. macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

Probably quicker to convert, as you'd have to import from the tapes again in real time.