dvd and cd labels

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pcpacker, Dec 19, 2004.

1. pcpacker macrumors member

What is the best software program (with a Mac) to print sticky labels for my burned cds or home movies? I don't have the printer that will print directly to the disk itself. thank you.

2. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I have read that it is bad to put labels on DVDs. The reasoning was that the label, if off centered, could cause a shift in the balance of the disk creating noise. I have also read debates over the issue of whether the adhesive used with the labels was good for longevity, suggesting that it could cause a faster deterioration of the media.

That all said, Memorex use to have a nice kit out that not only came with a devise for applying the labels but also a templet for most all major designing applications, including some non professional but common applications. You would then print the templets with a normal ink jet, they sold special sticky paper that went with the templets.

3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

as zim said, its not recommended to put labels on DVD's. I've had first-hand experience with bad labels on DVD's. just the slightest shift in balance on a DVD=major errors, and sometimes the whole DVD might just freeze up. and you can't simply just "rip" the label off if it stops working. because its very hard to get the entire label off. CD's arn't as bad when it comes to labels.

if you are really wanting labels on your DVD's or CD's, I would recommend investing in a CD Printer and Printable CDs/DVD's

4. supersize macrumors member

Epson makes a line of printers that print directly to cd/DVD's starting at around $100. I just bought an epson r300m and it is awesome. Not only does it print cd/DVD's beautifully it prints the best photo's i've seen from an inkjet printer. I think I spent like $170 for the printer and it is the best investment i've made lately (next to my DP G5 :D )