Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
, whats the deal with DVD-audio and macs. Anyone know if the DVD Drive can read them and so its jsut a software issure or do we need new hardware. Or is this even possible, I haven't heard much about DVD-Audio in computers at all, but I know the format is out there and slowly building up, When I get my DVD-audio compatible Pioneer DVD player to go with my new reciever which I got today I'll let you know, If, however I can play these babies in my new MAc with a bit of tweaking i may not bother! ANy ideas?

i found this here/

About DVD-AUDIO
... Some titles may also link to related web sites when used on a DVD-Audio capable
DVD-ROM drive.

I thought this might be an interesting topic if anybody has any information at all!! cos i sure don't :D

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I first heard about DVD-Audio players almost 2 years ago.

Check out this link, first. Explore the link, and check out the passage below:

http://www.surroundedby.com/what-is-dvd-audio/index.html

"[The DVD Audio] software features all of the elements listed above when played in a DVD-Universal player, but if inserted in the DVD-Rom drive of a personal computer they offer additional features. In a PC, a separate program enables users to access the web with links relevant to the title as well as offer files for transfer or print. This file section is called the Gift Shop™ and includes autographed photos, sheet music, solo transcriptions and more."

This should also work for the Mac, considering that the DVDA disk contains web links and printable documents; however, not all of the documents may be Mac-compatible.

However, I think you can only play DVD-Audio disks using DVD-Audio players, but I'm not completely sure.

amnesiac, you'll be surprised to find out what sh*t some people know and can relate to. :D :p

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Sorry...

There are no DVD-A players for Mac or PC as of this moment. (though I might be wrong, but as much as I read up on things like this I don't think I am.) The reason being that the RIAA is so paranoid that if it can be read and played by a computer, it can be copied and they won't have that. You won't see a DVD-A player for a computer until one can be written to where the disc can't be copied.:)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
DVD-Audio is basically just another stillborn technology that was killed by its creators due to pressure from the RIAA. The potential for audio fidelity was taken away, because a purely digital stream of music is way too easy to copy I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.