DVD-Audio to MP3 at 5.1?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by livingfortoday, Mar 13, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

OK, I'm not sure where to post this question, so if this has to be moved, so be it.

Anyways, my question concerns ripping DVD-audio, but converting it to an MP3. Specifically, is there a way to convert 5.1 audio from a DVD into an MP3? I've ripped it, but every time I try to convert it to MP3, it pakes it 2.1, which defeats the purpose of getting the songs off of a DVD.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Is it even possible?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Im almost 100% certain 5.1 isnt possible in an MP3

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I'm almost 100% certain you are correct. The MP3 folks are supposed to have a multi-channel update to MP3 coming, but I don't know how much interest it will receive, at this point.

4. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Dang, that sucks. Is there any audio format that supports 5.1 that I could play through iTunes?

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

According to Wikipedia, AAC will support Dolby 5.1 but whether iTunes and your Mac can handle it is another matter entirely... you may need an extra soundcard and maybe an iTunes plug-in, though I'm just guessing.

6. Bear macrumors G3

AAC can handle 5.1 and possibly Apple Lossless Encoding can handle it as well.
    You do need 5.1 hardware on your Mac of course.

iTunes shouldn't have a problem with 5.1 since it shares AAC code with QuickTime.

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

It's the 5.1 hardware that is the only problem. I have a friend who uses this.

8. Bear macrumors G3

Remember the G5's have 5.1 hardware. And it sounds like the original posters problem was the MP3 conversion.

9. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I don't have a G5, just an old Ti PowerBook, so no 5.1 audio on this. Just trying to convert 5.1 audio files ripped from a DVD into something playable in iTunes.

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I'm so happy!!

I managed to convert a DVD-Audio to AC3 to wav to AAC!!!!!!!! It is 48.000 kHz and sounds ok...

is it 5.1? I also need to improve sound quality.

I love DVD audio and now that I know how to convert it (even though some quality was lost) means I will buy more DVD audio!

Can someone teach me (PM or post) how to rip it to AAC (on Windows) and not loose quality?

(I do: DVD-Audio -> RIP TO HD -> DVD2AVI -> AC3 -> WAV -> AAC)

11. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Neat Ill have to try that... i have an M-audio 5.1 card ... I fricken love it lol! DVDs are awesome to watch with it... and its cool to hear your instruments playing on separate speakers around you in Logic

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

How do you rip the DVD audio tracks in the first place? None of the DVD rippers I've tried want to read the .aob files.