DVD Backup Software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vortexfl, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Vortexfl macrumors newbie

Vortexfl

I am only a few days away from purchasing my 1st mac. The MAC Book Pro 15". I have friends that use them and im impressed with what I have seen so far.

Hopefully Apple will work with game developers in the future so I can run the games I play on the mac. EQ2, UO, AC1.

The question is im trying to make backup copies of some of my cd's. What is the best DVD copy software for Mac I can get. Is IDVD , IMOVIE the best combo.

I understand I can use handbrake to covert also.

Thanks,

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    DELL XPS 600, P4 3.6, 2 Gig Ram, 250g + 500g Hdd, Geforce 7800GTX.
    Windows XP :) ( Not Vista... :confused: )
    Mac Coming Soon: :apple:

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

there is Roxio Toast.

you use iDVD to create dvds (create dvd menus) and iMovie is an app to edit movies.

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

So CD's or DVD's? Are you looking to make physical copies or just save them to a hard drive somewhere?

Disk Utility should be able to copy your CDs. Also you can use iTunes or Toast. MacTheRipper you'd need for DVDs to make physical copies. If you want compressed .mp4 files then use MediaFork (formerly Handbrake).

EDIT: iDVD and iMovie are there for you to make your own home movies.

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

If you don't mind not having special features or chapters, Handbrake or it's newer cousin Mediafork are good. They give you an mp4 file that is good quality (depending on the settings you choose). Typically the file will be a gig or less, so you can fit loads on your computer. Mediafork can also output the correct format for playing on a video iPod, so you can just bring your movie collection with you and play it through a tv if you want. Encoding can be slow depending on the quality you want, but you will get a good quality movie in real time (2 hr movie takes 2 hrs to encode)

If you want full quality Mactheripper will strip copy protection and burn a full copy of the dvd to your hard drive. The quality is perfect, but they take up several gigs each - a dual layer dvd can be 7-8 gigs. It generally takes about 20 mins to rip one.

I think there are some (not free) apps that will allow you to make backup copies of dvd's, but it's not something I do, so I don't know much about them.

Good luck with your MBP.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If you want copies you can watch on your PC and are compressed, you want HandBrake.

If you want perfect backups, you'll need a combination of applications: MacTheRipper + DVD2OneX + Disco/Burn/Toast (to rip, shrink, and burn, respectively).

I use MTR + DVD2OneX + Disco and it works a peach. I also use Handbrake for times when I want to watch things on my laptop (say during trips or something), but don't want to lose that much disk space.

6. Vortexfl thread starter macrumors newbie

Vortexfl

My inital idea was to use the mac to back them up to DVD but I would like to convert them to a format Apple Tv could use so I could watch them on my hd tv also.

I called the store and they have no refurbed units and not even the 15" mac book on the Apple Site. I would like to save the 200-300 dollars. I just need to be patient and wait.

Thanks,

Windows XP ( Not Vista... )
    Mac Coming Soon:

7. Vortexfl thread starter macrumors newbie

Vortexfl

I also have a 60 Gig Photo Pod and 80 Gig Video pod. But I expect to only store music, books and podcasts on them at this point in time. But it great to have the option.

Windows XP ( Not Vista... )
    Mac Coming Soon: