DVD Backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Falleron, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Ok, I am not trying to do anything illegal. I have some DVD's I want to backup onto my HD. Anyway, on the PC there are programs like EasyDivX that fully automates t he process for you. Take a look:

http://easydivx.does.it/

What programs are available for the Mac (OSX) + ideally uses both my processors?? I dont mind buying some software if its going to do the job (unlike some of the small apps on OSX) that really dont work.

Thanks

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Go here.

Scroll down to DVD Copy Utilities.

Get both files... the tutorial will help you learn more about dvd ripping on the Mac, and DVD Backup (hehe... you already had the right name) is what you should use to actually rip it. There is a tutorial which comes with DVD Backup, too.

Hope that helps.

irmongoose

3. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Cheers, I have seen these programs before. Not had much luck with them in the past. I want to compress them you see (I dont have the space to have many 10Gb DVD's on my HD). EasyDivX converts the audio into MP3 + converts the video into about about a tenth of the size.

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Ahh.. I remember a program that does this.. but you have to convert it with DVD Backup first, then compress that folder, as it can't convert straight from the DVD. It was on a Japanese page... anyone remember? I'm pretty sure it was posted here, but I didi a search, found nothing.

irmongoose

5. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

I've been reading up on this and have found that it can damage your DVD drive to compress straight from the DVD. It causes the laser to search and read continuously for an extended amount of time since the buffer is not big enough. (It was designed to read data once in increments). Using it to read and compress at once wears it out and if you have a superdrive.... that can be quite a bad decision.... just my HO.

6. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Definatly something to consider. However, I only plan to try this out once or twice. What I am really looking for is a program that rips it from the DVD, then converts + compresses the video + then deletes the temporary file + leaves you with a final compressed video. That EasyDivX (mentioned above) does all that.

7. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

My brother in law wanted to try something like this so he downloaded an app that encoded the DVD into a Quicktime MPEG. It took up about a gig of hard drive space. The quality of the mpeg was pretty good too. I'll ask him what app he used and I'll post again later. This is a good way to bring movies with you on long trips. A DVD that is spinning in the drive constantly will kill your battery real quick.

The DVD was Scooby Doo by the way:D