Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K.B.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
Okay. I've got a small child who is insistent on being the one to put the DVDs into the player and soon I'm sure scratches, food and other things will be ruining all the DVDs that grubby little hands can reach.

I need to make backup copies of these DVDs. I don't want to rip them, I don't want to compress them. I want to make exact copies of DVDs I own, menus and all. Sorry, I'm betting I'm not the first person to ask this but I can't find it searching.

I downloaded RIPIT and it seemed to have given me a copy of the VIDEO_TS folder but when I burned it to a dual layer DVD it shows up on my TV as some 4:3 version (bars to the right and left of the video). I tried burning with Toast and then DVD2ONE. I've tried changing settings on the DVD player but it still is messed up. It's a recent machine and plays pretty much anything with no problem.

I need to either find another program or figure out what's going wrong with RIPIT (not much help on their site at all).

Thanks in advance!

Nov 28, 2010
located
I used Toast to make 1:1 copies of video DVDs, though I also used Disk Utility for not copy-protected DVDs.
You could also try Burn (free), but as with Toast, you might need to have the copy-protected DVDs ripped first.
Doesn't the TV or DVD player have some kind of aspect ratio settings that you can change accordingly?

K.B.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
I double checked the settings on the DVD player and tried other DVDs who's aspect ratio was fine.

These are retail kids movies I purchased and just don't want to have to buy again so I want to make backups of them.

dlegend

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2009
DC
Mac the Ripper to extract, Toast to burn. I let Toast compress it so it fits on a single layer DVD. I doubt you or your kid will notice the difference, and if your kid can tell the difference then they're probably too old to be scratching DVDs.

K.B.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
Yeah, I could rip the DVDs a dozen ways in no time flat but what I want to do is make a backup copy of the DVD.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Don't DVD-R's only have about half the capacity of commercial DVD's?

If so then just doing a straight backup copy won't work for many (probably most)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Don't DVD-R's only have about half the capacity of commercial DVD's?

If so then just doing a straight backup copy won't work for many (probably most)

You can get dual layer DVD-DL which can fit a full commercial DVD. Most DVD copy apps like Toast and DVDRemaster will also compress the video so it fits a standard DVD-R.

K.B.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
I don't mind spending the extra money on dual-layer disks for back ups of DVDs I spent 15-20 bucks for.

Plus I've started using them for home movie DVDs for family now that they all have newer DVD players that can handle DVD+R's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.