DVD blanc disks.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jagga, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Jagga macrumors member

Ok I'm familiar with the whole DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW type blank media.

However from standard knowledge I'm aware that these discs will typically hold 4.2GB discs as well as on one side.

In an April Macworld magazine in the advertisement section I saw discs that had up to 9.6 GB capacity per side and were double sided. Anyone know of these discs and their compatibility with Macs??

thanks.

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i don't know, never really looked into them. haven't seen them in shops though. and somehow i don't think they'd be compatible with the Apple drives.

i'm curious to find out about this as well. :)

3. ksz macrumors 68000

They might be referring to a new generation of DVD writers that will write to both layers of a disc. The DVD disc standard specifies up to two recordable layers on each side. While all DVD players can refocus their laser on and read from the 2nd layer, DVD RW drives and blank media today are limited to one layer (though there might be some single-layer dual-sided media available).

Dual-layer DVD writers and media will be making their way to market in a few short months and *should* be compatible with (i.e. readable on) existing DVD drives and players.

4. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

I suspect

Generally, double sided discs are referred to as 9.4 GB. You can get 4x (speed) 9.4GB capacity discs from Meritline.com for around $3.

If the said 9.4 per side, I suspect it was a typo.

For the record, the Ritek dual sided discs work very well in super drives, as well as most DVD players.

Max

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i read somewhere that pioneer is getting ready to release a dual layer single sided DVD-/+R.. maybe that's what you saw in the ad... i believe that is slated for summer of next year, and will probably need a new burner... ill try to find the article.

6. ksz macrumors 68000

DVD-9 is the term for dual-layer recordable DVDs. Here's some background information:

http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm

7. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I know what the DVD-9 specs are, but as far as I know there isn't a dual layer DVD-R on the market, or the matching burner.

I basically repeated what you said, but I added the "pioneer" part.

8. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

While I do not have any links immediatly available, You are right that dual layer recordables are coming. Philips has promised to bring the first one to market in the DVD+ format, while Pioneer is working on the DVR-A07, which is supposed to be a -R dual burner. The information I saw did not say if the A07 would be dual layer for both + and - .

One thing to note on all of this is that the dual layer R formats were actualy 8.5GB is size, and did not quite reach the 9.4 limit.

Here is the press release :

Pionner dual layer recorder

I hope this clears things up a little.

Max