Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalGrunt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
I did a search on a bunch of threads here but still couldn't get a handle to my question.

I want to do a back up to DVD's. The software that I'm going to use is Impressions. My computer is a new iSight iMac 20".

I want to use RW's. Questions:

Should I use + or - RW's. Also if I use Dual Layered DVD's, are the Dual Layer DVD's available in + and -. And what about the speeds. Is there such a thing as 8x DVD+RW DL ??

From what I've read so far, DVD- are the better way to go than the + formats because more DVD players will accept them, but as of now, that's not my concern being that I only want to use these for incremental backups.

This all very confusing.......Any help to explain all this would be much appreciated.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
+ and - it's more or an issue of preference, I personally go for the DVD R- and RW-, so far I 've had less problems burning and playing the DVD on other computers and DVD players.

From what I've heard there's really not that much difference between + and - R and RW DVDs, apparently the - is more geared towards the DVD players whilest the + format is better for data back ups.

Speed wise, I've had no problems burning a DVD at 1x, 2x, 4x,or 8x DL or SL, so to answer that question burn at any speed you want (but remember some 8x DVD RW+ or - don't always work with some cheaper DVD players).

+ vs - kind of like the Beta vs VHS wars of the 80's...... the funniest thing is that the cheaper crappier standard won that battle.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, if your doing backups then you may want -RW to start (until you get the hang of things) but most players play -R more than +R. My set-top player won't play +R anything, only -R so that's what I use. Can I ask why that program for backing up? Just wondered since most use Mac The Ripper, DVD2oneX or Popcorn then Toast (Toast 7 has Popcorn) or the free program with the Mac (make a disc image). This may all be not what you mean as far as backing up on dvd and if so sorry for the long post ;)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
You really should look into getting a external firewire drive. You can use programs such as Super Duper, Carbon Copy Cloner, or others to make complete bootable backups. I know it costs more this way, but I really recomend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.