Dvd-burn Plzzzz

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by surajnangia, Feb 27, 2006.

1. surajnangia macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2006

I wanted to burn a DVD. I had a movie in VCD which i wanted to put on my DVD. Saves space...

I burned the VCD onto my computer, converted then into DVD format using , ffmpegx. After then i went to toast it , through toast 7.0/...

It shows that my movie takes more space than actually required to burn a DVD

Pz help how can i compress it so as to burn it

2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Most standalone DVD players will also play VCD. Why don't you just burn it to CD and be done with it.

The problem you're running into is that DVD resolution is 720x480 for NTSC while VCD is 320x240, so you're scaling the video up by 5X in resolution as part of this process. DVD also supports VCD-like resolution so you might want to use ffmepg and/or toast to burn a DVD without doing the scaling up.

Definitely don't use ffmpeg to create a full resolution video and hen use Toast to shrink it back down! AFAIK you should be able to do the whole thing in Toast.

3. surajnangia thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2006

Problem is my DVD player does not Play half the VCD's . I don;t know y , it has some problem with it,

I tried to do the process in toast and it took 6 hrs for 1 movie and after that also when i played the movie in my player the picture was there but there was no sound...

When i converted it in ffmpegx and tried the whole movie did;t fit so i tried to burn 2 dvd's out of it, this played also and there was sound also...

But i dont wanna make 2 dvds out of 1 movies