DVD Burn Program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slackersonly, Jul 5, 2006.

1. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

I am trying to transition all my activities away from my pc to my new mac.

One important task is taking my daughters movie dvds and editing them down to just the movie so my wife can change movies while in the car without messing with menus which causes her to be all over the road.

On my pc I have used dvddecrypter and dvdfab as rippers, nero as a burn program, or dvdshrink as a one step rip/burn program. All were free (well nero express came bundled 'free' with a dvd burner).

I would like to try freeware or shareware programs first before having to buy a program for 2 reasons. 1. I have found some great Mac freeware and want to try that option first. 2. After my new iMac, 1GB RAM, and 300GB backup hard drive and external enclosure, I am getting broke (remember I have a daughter and she is a suprising money eating monster!)

I searched these forums and found MacTheRipper, Handbrake, and DVD2one as free ripping programs. I have been unable to find free burning programs (Popcorn & Toast being the most mentioned programs to buy). I did find FastDVDCopy as a one step program but it was only free on a one use trial (and man was it slow!).

Long story summarized:
    Are there any free burning programs or one step rip/burn programs that someone can recommend??

2. theadz01 macrumors newbie

iDVD? or just burn using the software on the OS

It's all free and included with your mac

3. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

hmm. i never thought about that.
    will idvd work with all ripped formats or is it better with one particular format?

4. road dog macrumors regular

no... idvd will not do what you want to do.

idvd works best with quicktime movies and content from imovie editor. it definitely will not accept pre-existing mpeg2 content, which is what's on an existing dvd.

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

HandBrake should rip it for you, then you can burn it menu-free with Toast.

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Ya, but Toast is not free, and if he had Toast he could just use that with Mac the ripper...

Long story short,

There is not a free, legal way to get the programs you need, like, Toast and Popcorn, DVD2ONEx ect...

However, I would recommend just buying Toast 7 if you can find the cash, because it truly is one of the most useful programs ever made IMO, for many things other than just compressing and burning a DVD...