Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lincoln 6 Echo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Can someone explain why video DVDs and data DVDs that I've burned using a 17" MBPro (Core Duo, 2.16GHz, 2GB, 10.4.8) do not work on an older Mac --- a G4-450 (AGP Sawtooth, 10.3.9, DVD-ROM--Matshita SR8585)?

:( :confused:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
This might not be the reason, but I've noticed that some older DVD-ROM (or DVD-RAM, acutally) drives have trouble reading certain types of DVD-R or -RW media. I had the same problem with early CD-Rs; the blue Verbatim ones wouldn't read in a lot of older CD drives.

It could also just be dirty and/or failing--it's pretty old, after all.

You might try a different brand of discs, or maybe just replace the old DVD-ROM drive with a newer one--heck, you can get a brand new DVD-/+RW drive for like $35 now.

Lincoln 6 Echo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
I only use -R's I learned about the -R/+R thing a while ago the hard way:cool:

I don't think it's dirty, as it reads other discs fine... I'm thinking the old drive doesn't like certain brands of DVD media, but it reads every store bought music CD and movie DVD I've put in it.

Should I replace the internal or buy an external?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm thinking the old drive doesn't like certain brands of DVD media, but it reads every store bought music CD and movie DVD I've put in it.
You're probably right about this. Manufactured discs are more reflective than burned ones, so they are more reliably read by older drives; the older drives were designed before the writable discs were common (or even existed, in some cases), so they were only designed to read the more reflective pressed discs. Similarly, if a particular brand is less reflective than another, it might fail to be read--again, I mention the older blue Verbatim CD-R media versus, say, Sony's, which was a more reflective green; my CD player and older computer's CD-ROM drive would only read the Sony discs.

Should I replace the internal or buy an external?
Either will work fine, but if you replace the internal you save the ~$30 or so on a 5.25" FireWire case. Of course, the flip side is that you can plug the external into both computers easily, but since you've already got a burner in your newer one, it's probably not that big of a deal. Me, I'd probably go internal just 'cause I'm cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.