DVD burner for G3 iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MontgomeryBurns, Aug 27, 2004.

1. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

Mar 14, 2004
    I have a 600-mhz g3 iMac that I'm going to be upgrading (max ram, larger (& new) hard drive), and I've recently become interested in replacing the slot-load internal cd-rw drive with one that can also play/burn dvds.

The only drive that I've found that would definitely work is this one from MCE, but it's fairly expensive. If I were limited to this drive I would opt for an external, but I'd like to have an internal drive if possible.
    Now, I haven't yet looked inside of the imac to see what sort of drive it has behind all the plastic, but can I just get a slot-load dvd/rw drive that isn't being advertised (and priced) as a "SuperDrive upgrade for the slot-loading iMac G3"?
    And if so, are there any internal drives that don't play well with the finder/i-Apps? I would want to have a drive that would be fully compatible with 10.3.5/10.4.

Any suggestions?
  2. MontgomeryBurns thread starter macrumors member

Mar 14, 2004
    Also would it be possible to put a superdrive from a powerbook into my imac? Would they even have the same connector?

Any info would be much appreciated.
  3. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Apr 9, 2003
    No it would not be possible as the drives are of different sizes and the Powerbook drive would not fit in securely in the imacs drive bracket. Putting a Superdrive in a G3 machine is rather questionable though. I know idvd requires a G4 to do it's work. Also many of Apple's own iapps and Panther itself may have issues with drivers or firmware from installing a third party Superdrive especially if it's a hack. 600Mhz G3 really is'nt powerfull enough for video encoding or compressing that's why none of the G3 machines were ever equiped with a Superdrive and finding third party options are almost non existent. If you want a Superdrive the MCE one is the only viable option I know of. But it really is questionable whether it's worth it to spend some $349 on a new optical drive plus $200 to max your RAM and another $100+ for a new HD for a total of $649 when you can get a new emac with SUperdrive for under $1000 or get a refurbished one with Superdrive for under $800
  4. MontgomeryBurns thread starter macrumors member

Mar 14, 2004
    First of all, upgrading this computer, and the cost of upgrading this computer, isn't really the issue. The $100 I'll spend on ram now and $100 in a few months is nothing. Plus $100 for a new hard drive that I'm going to need soon anyway, as mine is getting a little flaky. These costs are a given, and not a substantial amount of money.
    When I look into the price of an emac with a superdrive, my total comes to $1,153, which is more than I want to spend on an upgrade for this computer. I have newer g4's. I have other superdrives. That is not the point. The whole point of this post is an inquiry into the options that I have for an internal dvd burner for this imac, if any.
    My intended uses for the dvd burner include: being able to burn higher capacity data discs; being able to watch dvd videos on this computer; burning audio discs with this computer. I think I should be able to do these things.

I have found this dvd burner but I don't know if it will work with my computer. If I can find something this cheap that will work, I will do it. Otherwise, I can live without.