Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wondertwinpower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
I would love to have a DVD burner for my 600mhz iMac G3 but have not found an answer about whether there is one that will function properly. Does anybody know?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Wondertwinpower said:
I would love to have a DVD burner for my 600mhz iMac G3 but have not found an answer about whether there is one that will function properly. Does anybody know?

Any decent quality brand external FireWire DVD burner should work just fine using Roxio Toast software. AFAIK, no external burners fully support the Apple iApps though.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Lancetx said:
Any decent quality brand external FireWire DVD burner should work just fine using Roxio Toast software. AFAIK, no external burners fully support the Apple iApps though.

You can find Easter Egg Hacks, for this minor issue. :)

Do not bother with any external DVD burner that is rated under 8x at the present only 8x and higher and you will be pleased. :)

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
most people got a dvd burner to work on their g3;s even though at a macworld a few years ago, steve claimed that you absolutely needed the power of a g4 to burn dvds.

aethier

asimov

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2005
Belgium
What about replacing the DVD/CD drive with an internal DVD writer in an iMac DV SE?

I keep reading posts about external DVD writers for iMac G3's (DV of course!) but did anyone ever try to replace the combo DVD/CD ROM drive with an internal DVD writer.

I would like to know if this is at all possible.
I sure would like to give it a try.

Asimov :eek:

asimov

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2005
Belgium
Replacing DVD/CD combo drive in G3 iMac DV with DVD burner

Thanks, very much for the info!

Now! Where do I find the necessary "How to!" to take my favourite iMac apart (and more important, put it back together!)?

Asimov :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.