DVD Burner Problems. Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by D0ct0rteeth, Dec 16, 2006.

1. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

So I am burning some DVD's off my Powerbook G4 1.67 thru toast and all of a sudden it stops recognizing DVD's.

I usually use RiData DVD-R's and they work perfectly but since you can only buy them online I was using a Memorex DVD-R.

The first Memorex DVD-R burned fine, when I tried to burn a second the CPU didnt recognize the disc and spit t back out. I tried again, again and again literally 30 times with 30 different DVD-R's and none work.

I went down to the store and bought aspindle of Sony DVD-R's and tried with those, and they dont work.

Is all media other than RiData crap? Is it the media or my laptop? Is it something else?

I can read DVD's fine, so it isnt my drive. Am I nuts?

- D0c

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

When are the discs ejected? Before or after you attempt to burn them?

3. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I stick them in the drive, the cpu thinks for 10-15 seconds and then spits them out

D0c

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Toast checks discs for compatability and ejects them if it finds something wrong with them. Could you try putting in the disc without Toast open (if you haven't already done so). You may be able to burn them in disk utility.

I've experienced similar problems with Toast 6. A conbination of an SMC reset, repair permissions, Toast reinstall + update, and multiple restarts fixed my problem. I've had my optical drive replaced since, however, and haven't had anymore problems.

5. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I've done all that and I'm afaid I will need my drive replaced. Either that or all DVD-R Media is poo.

- Doc

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

7. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Yeah. I figured it out. Thanks. And yeah, there are no programs running. Its just the OS iself. Toast is off.

I'll trya full os re-install and then see about getting the drive rerplaced.

Thanks agin;

- Doc

8. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Alright, good luck then..I hope your lack-f-burning-capacity gets sorted out just as nicley as mine did.

9. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Just wanted to follow up. It turned out that both the hard drive and DVD are failing - It was hardware issues as we expected. Thanks again for your help! Shes in the shop for repair.

- Doc