DVD BURNER what will suit my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dano the mano, May 26, 2004.

1. dano the mano macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm interested in getting a DVD burner for my dual 450 g4. I have seen all the pioneer drives and then i ran across the Lacie D2 drive. They say that is dual layer and that it will end up being the next super drive in the new macs coming out. I want to be able to use DVD studio pro with this drive and also do the normal backup of my dvd movies.

any help would be much appreciated..

thanks

-dano

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I've done some resarch on the LaCie d2 drive and it's very nice. I'd go with that one. It does come with Toast to burn DVD's, in case you didn't know ;) . Seems like a great burner, I'm planning on getting it myself :).

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i dont think the dual layers are supported yet, you'd need to use patchburn or something like that... which means it may or may not work natively with your apps.

I'd have an issue with cost of media (i get 4x DVD-R's for 55 cents each), cost of drive, native support with Apple's apps, and compatibility of the new dual layer DVD-R's with current stand alone DVD players.

4. dano the mano thread starter macrumors newbie

how much is the media for d2?

HOw much is the media here for this Dual Layer drive? hmmmm i might just wait till rev. B G5. I want to be able to use apple's Motion app when it comes out and I'm not sure how well it will run on my dual 450 g4.

thanks

d