DVD Burner

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Jan 17, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Can someone recommend an external DVD burner that is reasonably priced and works with both mac and pc? I want to try and spend as little as possible, i just need something that will not break immediately and do the job well.

2. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Anything from LaCie is a good buy. Theyre a wee bit pricey, but for compatibility sake go with the LaCie.

3. AWishForNoOne macrumors member

I recently bought one by LaCie (see signature for particulars). Unfortunately, I haven't had much time with it yet but I will post a little review as soon as possible. Also, I bought mine from newegg.com for $135 which seemed like a pretty good deal.

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

That seems like a reasonable price to me. Is it external? Can you post the link?

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

6. AWishForNoOne macrumors member

I just burned a few dvds and there first thing that I noticed was how quiet it was. Barely noticed that it was running. Next, the drive supports up to 16x burning depending on the media. I've only gone as fast as 8x and it seems plenty fast. Takes an average of 6 minutes burning at 8x. The color matches my setup pretty well. The only con that I can think of at this time is that the drive is bigger than expected. I don't have very intense dvd burning needs so I can't really post an intense review since I'm not that experienced with burning dvds.

I'm also excited that iDVD 5 will support external drives :p

7. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

I have been looking for the documentation of this, do you know where I can find this stated?