DVD Burners Compatible with Powermac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by NSiebenmor, Sep 5, 2005.

1. NSiebenmor macrumors member

Jul 23, 2004
    Savannah GA
    When I purchased my Powermac G5 I downgraded to the combo drive to save money. Now I'm looking to upgrade to an internal Dual Layer DVD burner. My question is are there only certain models that are compatible and will fit the Powermacs Eject Door system? I'm looking for a reliable model between $50 and $100, does anyone have any recommendations? thanks for any help

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Go to your local reseller and ask them for a Superdrive DVD+-RW 16x DL burner. I believe the Pioneer A109 goes for around $70-$80.
  3. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I believe you still have to rip off the face of the DVD burner, at least i had to on my DVD burner i Installed, a pioneer DL 16X burner
  4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    I agree the DVR-109 is your best bet, dont forget "patchburn" though,

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hi Nick, have you looked into the LaCie web site under the recons? I ask since you can get an external burner for $99 and get the software with it that will allow you to burn to (more like from) iDVD, iMovie and iTunes without using Patchburn. Also then you wouldn't need to take apart anything, just plug it in and your set. Just a thought for ya ;)
  6. NSiebenmor thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2004
    Savannah GA
    What is Patchburn? It seems like most DVD burners only say they are compatible for Windows.