DVD Burning(I'm a newbie!)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by hatfield, Dec 9, 2002.

1. hatfield macrumors newbie

Ok, my quetion pertains to burning a DVD. I have the iMac 800 with Superdrive running 10.1.5, and haven't attempted to burn a DVD yet, and to be honest have no clue howto.

Firstly, I'm interested in burning DVD's to backup files. I'm assuming that it is as easy as inserting the blank DVD-R in the drive and copying files to the disc icon... is that all there is too it? How do you "Burn" it? Will it burn automatically when I try to eject the disc?

Secondly, if I want to make a DVD to play in DVD players I know I'd use iDVD. BUT, I want to use music videos that I've downloaded in MPEG format - is there anyway I could convert the files to .mov format so I could import them into iDVD??

Thanks so much

-Peter

2. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Re: DVD Burning(I'm a newbie!)

ok Peter lets see if i be of some help here. First of you are correct that all you have to do is simply drag the files onto your blank DVD-R and can use the utilities disk copy to burn the disk.

secondly you have to convert .mpeg files into .mov files then use QT6 Pro to export it in MPEG-2 to have it work with DVDSP1.5, possibly the .mov files will work if you just drag them onto iDVD, if IDVD can see it, then most DVD players will see it. Hope some of this helps.

Tyler

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you might be able to drag mpg's right into idvd... you can definitely drag .mov files... the one thing that idvd does for you that dvdsp doesn't is encode everything at the proper bit rate (ie, the highest it can without being too big)..

if you don't have qt pro, get it.....

and export the movies as dv ntsc or something... i think that'd work best.