DVD Burning in Toast 7.1 Extremely Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rda, Dec 1, 2006.

1. rda macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2006
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum or if it has been posted before. I'm new and I did a search but didn't see anything matching my question. This is my first mac and so I'm a bit unsure of all of the intricacies of OS X but I'm using Toast 7 Titanium with an eternal USB 2.0 Plextor DVD Burner. The DVD burner can do 16X and toast just automatically recognized it when I plugged it in, but when I got to burn the disc and try to change the speed, the only option it gives me is 2X. I've used the same type of discs on a windows machine at 16X, so it isn't that. Is there something I've done wrong? When I burn from my macbook pro's internal superdrive it gives me a full range of speed options, but not with the external. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: OS X 10.4.8, newest version, including the security update from earlier this week. Toast Titanium 7.1.
  2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2003
    Thunder Bay, ON
  3. rda thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2006
    I hadn't tried hooking it up firewire but I did just now and it appears to have brought back the speed choices. Thank you. Any idea what causes it? Both of the ports on the mbp are usb 2.0, right?