DVD Burning Problems - iMac G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ghostee, Aug 9, 2005.

1. ghostee macrumors 6502

I'm trying to burn some files onto a DVD. When I insert a blank DVD (Memorex +R 8x), it gives me a message that says "The disc could not be used because the disc drive is not supported". Before it says this, it recognizes it as a blank DVD and asks me what I want to do.

Anybody know what the problem here is?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What was your response?

3. ghostee thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

i don't see the problem here? thats normal when you insert a blank cd or dvd if you don't have the system panel set for a certain action. You can set what it does by going to your system prefs and selecting the Cds & Dvds icon.

If your problem is the media itself.. then idk.. you could tried to select ignore as an option for new dvds and create a burn folder and try to burn it with the dvd. Could end up as a coster but at least you would know if it would work or not. You can always try toast if you have it... open the app first and insert the media.

5. ghostee thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried making a burn folder and clicking burn, and then inserting the media. It hangs at the screen saying its waiting for a disc, and eventually gives me the same message.

I've also tried to use burn folders to do CD's with the same results.

No matter what it gives me that message.... is there any tests I can do on the drive to make sure the drive itself is OK?

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You could try another brand of media. :eek: I usually test with DVD-RW to minimize my losses...