DVD burning problems

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kethoticus, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Hey fellow Mac-heads, I need some tech advice here.

I've been pulling my hair out. This afternoon, I installed a new DVD burner, the 4x DVR-105 mechanism by Pioneer. I also installed the iDVD 2.1 "update", which I've heard acts like the full version as long as you're using Pioneer's internal IDE "superdrive". I also heard that the Jaguar Finder natively burns both blank CDs and DVDs as data discs. However, I've yet to burn a single DVD. I'm on a B&W 350MHz G3.

OS X's Finder rejects any blank DVD I put in. All I get is an ejected DVD and an error message that reads, "Burning the disk can not proceed because the startup disc is full. (Error code -34)"

When I insert a blank disc and launch iDVD, I get, "The application iDVD could not be opened because the required hardware could not be found."

??!!?? A CD/DVD-ROM disk is read fine, so I know the thing's installed properly.

I am getting extremely frustrated here. I've already reinstalled the OS (Zhagwire) as well as the 10.2.3 combo update, as per the Apple tech support recommendation. No soap. I've spent hundreds of dollars to get this archiving medium. I need it to work. If worse comes to worse, I'll sell the drive to any interested party and just buy external firewire HDs. But I'd rather get this to work.

Any ideas? Please. Feel free to email me privately, if you prefer.

Thanks.

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Re: DVD burning problems

I thought that iDVD only works with the Pioneer DVR-A03.... If that's true then that answers some of your questions.

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Re: DVD burning problems

Yes iDVD only works with apple installed superdrives that the computer shipped with. Have you tried bugging Pioneer?

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

its my understanding that a g4 is required for burning dvds on a mac. even if it isnt, that IS the minimum requirement for iDVD.