DVD burning software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by captainbrendo, Mar 25, 2006.

1. captainbrendo macrumors newbie

Hi,

Are there any programs for OSX that are similar to DVD Xcopy in windows? I'd like to backup some of my DVD's I am a brand new mac user; definitely liking the OSX!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for any help
    captainbrendo

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

If you are looking to rip the DVD to then burn again you can use a program called MacTheRipper

If you're looking to save the DVD as a video file you can use a program called Handbrake. Handbrake can also rip the DVD to an iPod compatible format.

3. captainbrendo thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool

Cool, thanks for the help, those programs are cool. Once I have the files from the ripped files from mactheripper, what is a good program to burn the files??

thanks
    captainbrendo

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

After using MacTheRipper you can use a program called DVD Imager to convert the VIDEO_TS folder into a DVD image (it will create a file that ends in .img).

After you have that go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and you can then use Disk Utility to burn the .img to a DVD.

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have some problems with mactheripper, it stops in the middle of ripping stateing some kind of error.

6. Swatchman macrumors newbie

MACTHERIPPER IS ILLEGAL. Just a heads up as it removes the encryption from a DVD.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It would be illegal in the US (and other countries which have laws similar to the DCMA). captainbrendo isn't necessarily from the US.

Just a related point. The DCMA hasn't been challenged in court yet. I eagerly await the day that the DCMA gets challenged in the Supreme Court. I would wager that it would be deemed Unconstitutional.

ft