dvd burning software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RoxStrongo, Oct 22, 2006.

1. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

i was wondering if there was an alternative to roxio toast when it comes to burning video files onto a dvd?

2. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Ahhh, Bournemouth. My old stomping ground. :) As for the burning, why not iDVD that's already on your machine?

3. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

You don't specify what sort of video files you're wanting to burn to DVD. But if you've got a VIDEO_TS folder (either a DVD rip, or something you've got from a digital broadcast) then 'DVD Imager' is quite funky. It creates a valid DVD image you can then burn to DVD with Disk Utility. It's free from here.

4. RoxStrongo thread starter macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

both interesting options. it's mainly avi's that i have a lot of and want to free up some space as well as making them watchable on the tv.

5. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

You could use ffmpegx to convert to the avi's to dvd images, then use the aforementioned dvd imager to make a burnable dvd image.

Still playing with ffmpegx myself to try and get the best quality image out of it. It's pretty decent and will convert between most formats, it's a bit of a pain to install tho.

6. RoxStrongo thread starter macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

yeh i think i may have dabbled with ffmpegx in the past but did give up when i couldn't get it installed correctly. does open source always have to mean inaccessible? anyway i'm getting frustrated with toast now. it just burnt me an unwatchable dvd. it's either that or after saying it has enough space on a disc then decides once it has done all the encoding that it doesn't.