Dvd burning with what?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dmbmikee, Nov 8, 2004.

1. dmbmikee macrumors newbie

Hey all,
    My first post here. And yes, I did a search but couldn't come up with anything.
    I'm trying to make a copy of a dvd that I own.....and I've ripped it and compressed it, but am having a hell of a time trying to burn it. Hell I'm not even sure what to use to burn it...lol Ohhh and I'm a first time mac user....had a good 10 years with pc's before I said to hell with em'. I have the OSX and iDVD and iMovie yada yada yada...But I cannot figure out why iDVD won't take VIDEO_TS folders....It keeps telling me it's an unsupported file type...
    Sorry for this confusing post....but I'm a lil lost. Any help is greatly appreciated.....:)

Mikee

2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

If you used DTOX and checked 'Create Image' then you can burn with Disk Utility.

If all you have is a VIDEO_TS folder then you can use DVD Imager (drop it on the window) and then burn with Disk Utility.

http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html

Or if you have Toast 6 you can burn as a data disk udf format.

Attached Files:

3. dmbmikee thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for your help!!

I'm still having a bit of a problem. I cannot seem to get dtox to make a small (less than 4.7g) video_TS folder. Actually when I put a blank dvd in and control click to "get info" the disk says there is only 4.29gigs of free space on it. It's a sony dvdr+ and maybe that's the problem. It sayss "4.7g" on the disk labels.

I really cannot understand what I'm doing wrong. I've done this whole process many times before with my pc and used dvd decryptor-->dvd2one--->Nero.

So theoretically it should be simplistic when I'm basically using the same programs, cept a substitution for nero with TOAST. :confused:

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Actually, 4.29GB equals 4.7GB. At least according to the marketing people. Advertisers think that 1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes. Computers (and the people who use them) know that 1GB=1,073,741,824 bytes. That's a 93% difference. Give or take a few MB for the filing system and formatting.

5. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Sometimes you have to run the VIDEO_TS output by DTOX through it again to make it fit on a DVD-R.

Usually I have to do this for ones >8GB, but every DVD is different so just run the already compressed folder again (it should be real quick compared to the first time).

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Try 7% Captain Math... :p :cool:

7. dmbmikee thread starter macrumors newbie

O.k... I did that. Then I burned it as a udf with toast, and it asked if I wanted to verify, so I did. Oh and I threw an empty audio_TS folder in in case my dvd player needed some tricking....But toast only burned like 1/8 of the disk......and of course this is "coaster" number 3......WEIRD???

But one thing that's not making sense is toast has 5 files and they are:

VTS_01_1.VOB 1024MB
    VTS_01_2.VOB 1024MB
    VTS_01_3.VOB 1024MB
    VTS_01_4.VOB 1024MB
    VTS_01_5.VOB 376MB

So that's almost 4.4 gigs or something (I am definitely not captain Math:) So when it's done burning, I flip the disk over and it looks as though it's only burned like 1/8 as I mentioned before.....and the disk won't play at all......But according to TOAST, it's burned all 4.4 something gigs.....Sorry if I'm not recognizing what's going on here, but I'm still lost......God I miss NERO:(........

More info: This is the dvd "white chicks" that I'm tryin to burn so it's prolly not a huge dvd.... :(

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Maybe your problem is that Toast is smart enough to only burn quality DVDs and not cheezy comedies... :p ;)

Seriously, as long as you have 4.4 GB or less, you should be fine. It sounds like you're processing the files correctly, so I'm not sure exactly why Toast isn't recognizing the files properly. What version of Toast do you have, not that it should make a huge difference...

9. dmbmikee thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahahahaha Actually you're right....At the end of the burning session toast said "cannot complete burning session, movie content- far exceeds cheeziness spectrum." lol

Nah but really, as you and I see it, there shouldn't be any problem. I did get it burned but I had to bust out the old PC:(

I'm using TOAST 6.1 F.Y.I. Also I was wondering, what kind of files does iDVD support? Seems as though it doesn't support ANY file types....Everything I drag into it, vob, nfo, dvdr, etc. it says "unsupported file type".

I'll figure this out eventually......and as I mentioned before, prolly just a learning curve that I'm stumbling upon. But hey, Thanks for your help.

10. dmbmikee thread starter macrumors newbie

Still can't figure it out....It burns the dvd, but it won't play in my mac or in my dvd player(S)