DVD Burning.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kct4304, Jan 12, 2007.

1. kct4304 macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2007
    Here's the deal. I have a powerbook g5 with the dvd burner thinking I'd be all cool and be able to burn my DVD's with freeware like you can through windows, but I was wrong. A year and a half later I'm tired of not being able to burn dvd's and I want to know what to do!
    Recently all my dvd's were stolen and so I'm getting copies of them back but I want to make back up copies, well incase they get stolen again! I have really bad lucky.
    Everyone talks about Toast but really, I'm a poor college student and I'm not sure if I can afford Toast. I had a illgeal copy of it (or i think it was) for a little while but I could never get it to work right, so I deleted it.
    Now I downloaded 'Burn' but I can't seem to get that to work right either.
    I used mac the ripper to rip the dvd to my harddrive, now its there and I don't know how to get it off! I thought 'Burn' would take care of this for me but when I'm burning the ripped DVD from my harddrive to a blank DVD I get a message saying Failed There was a problem authoring the DVD. Am I just doing something wrong?
    All I did was go to 'Video' Find where the ripped copy was on my harddrive and then press burn, and then it comes up with that message.
    I don't know what to do! I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money but I would also like to be able to burn DVD's.
    I decided to get the DVD burner for this purpose and now I feel like its a waste of money because I've never been able to use it!!
    I appreciate anyone that can help me :)
  2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    You need to shrink the DVD files first after you rip them. There's applications that will do this for you (Toast being the one that comes to mind). Burnable DVD media (single layer) only fits 4.3 GB. Most DVDs I have made backups of require more than that.