DVD copy question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yg17, May 24, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm going on a trip tomorrow and am copying some DVDs to keep me occupied on the plane and in the hotel. I'm not doing anything illegal, I'm just making backups of movies I own because if anything happened, I'd rather lose copies than originals.

I'm using MacTheRipper to make a full disc backup, then DVD2One to extract (and if neccesary, compress to fit) just the main feature, and burning the resulting main feature in Toast, and it's working great. My question is this:

Why is it, that some 2 hour long DVDs don't need to be compressed to fit on a single layer DVD, but some movies that are much shorter (say an hour and a half) need to be compressed 5 or 10 percent to fit onto a DVD? Different bitrates? In all cases, I'm just getting the main feature. No subtitles, no extra languages or directors commentary, and just the 5.1 audio track.

Thanks

2. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Maybe it's not just taking the main feature like you think it is?

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Possibly. But I go back and watch them, and its just the main feature, with no menus or anything. Hitting the subtitle or audio buttons on my remote does nothing.

4. NadeemF macrumors newbie

divx

Different bitrates I think.
    If you are storing them on you HD and space is a consideration, consider transcoding the main feature to avi/divx's with ffmpegx, then using VLC to play them back (or Quicktime/front row if you can be bothered to install the divx codec for quicktime).

5. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

It's complete due to the encoding rate done by the manufacturer/studio. Most discs (movies) before 2000 were only single layer, so the 2 hour or whatever length film was compressed to fit in 4.4 GB, after that, when dual layer discs became more prevalent the movies were compressed/encoded to fit on a 8.5 GB disc. That's the only reason why some longer movies are actually small in GB size. Other things come into play as well for the studio to decide how to encode but that's the gist of it

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Some movies are packed with a ton of different languages and features...

why, if you have Toast, are you even using DVD2one?

7. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Only Toast 7 has the popcorn shrink-to-fit feature. Maybe yg17's using 6, plus DVD2oneX has much more features than Toast 7 for compression