DVD copy software

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by michaeldneale, Oct 13, 2004.

1. michaeldneale macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2004
    Any suggestions on good DVD copying software? I am aware of some commercial ones, but not sure if there are free ones, or which ones really work.

By DVD copying I mean DVD to DVD, not ripping or anything like that.
  2. Matt@GT macrumors newbie

Aug 23, 2004
    York, Uk

Do you mean copying dvd movies illegaly? Or backing up your own movies

If so you need to use several pieces of ripping software...
  3. michaeldneale thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2004
    We have made lots of videos through iDVD, and I want to be able to delete the original material, but then be able to copy the DVDs that I keep.
  4. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    It's ironic, I know perfectly well how to rip DVDs to my harddrive but like you I'm not sure how to duplicate my own DVDs onto another DVD. So any tips would be useful. I guess it involves Mac the Ripper and Toast but I don't know the process. Maybe it's as simple as using toast on it's own to copy the DVD? After all, your own iDVD produced DVDs are region free and unencrypted.
  5. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Yeah all you need is MactheRipper and Toast. MacTheRipper to create a backup onto your hard disk and then Toast to burn to DVD. Select either the Video or Data (DVD-ROM UDF) options, drag the newly created file to toast and then burn!

If you're DVD backup is over 4.7 GB you'll need to use an app like DVD2one to compress the movie to fit onto a single DVD.

Or you could check out Fast DVD Copy which will do all the work for you, at a price.

Stick with MactheRipper and Toast, and DVD2One if needed, it's cheaper and works fine.
  6. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Look in your Applications folder for the Utilities folder. There should be an application called Disk Copy in the Utilities folder.

That should be able to copy the DVDs that you've made with iDVD. Personally, I don't know the steps to do it with Disk Copy since I have Toast.
  7. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    if your lucky enough to have a pc lying around with a dvd burner download DVDShrink.
  8. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    The really big ones

Let me add to the questions here. I have several TV series DVD's that I'd like to back up (or, more accurately, make copies that I'll use so that I can store away the originals and keep them safe).

The problem is, some of these DVD's (with four hour-long episodes and voice commentary) can be over 7 GB! MacTheRipper worked wonderfully to move it onto my external hard drive. The episodes played beautifully from there. But from over 7 to 4.4 GB using the compression shareware led to a copy that looked horrid even on my 13-inch laptop monitor (I can't even imagine how bad it would have looked on my TV).

I even gave in to the thought of putting one episode on each DVD-R, but the files seem to be freakily intertwined somehow to prevent it. (If I dragged one file (was it a VOB?) into Toast, it would bloat itself up to be too big for the DVD-R!

Anyone have success at making copies that actually save the original data's quality and still leads to a playable DVD?