DVD Copying and Burning Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by icepikk, Mar 6, 2007.

1. icepikk macrumors newbie

Mar 6, 2007
    ok im in a real confusing and frustrating predicament. i just bought a dvd burner to back up my dvds cuz they tend to get scratched a lot. the only problem is im running on an iMac powerpc g3 350mhz and all of the programs i try take over 15 hours or dont work. i have fast copy dvd and it has only burned one dvd for me and it took forever. i tried dvd copy for mac and it always says i do not have enough free space on temp disk folder even when the folder i have it set to is on my ex. hard drive which has 192GB available. i tried toast and popcorn and since my computer is running at the mhz it is, they dont even open, but im using os 10.4 so all the old apps i find are for os 9 which originally came with my computer. i cant find old editions of the apps like popcorn 1 or an older toast that will work on os x AND my imac g3. is there anyone who can help me so i can get use out of my dvd burner without having to buy a new computer? i also have 768MB of RAM.
  2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

Oct 11, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    with a 350mhz computer it's going to take a long long long time. First you have to rip the DVD, this will uncompress the DVD (approx 3-7gigs depending on the movie) then it has to burn, but before it burns a program like Toast first has to compress it back down. The compression is were you will have the longest run times, You can try and try but chances are that it will take hours to complete, or you will have errors, you disc full error may be in response to improper copying. You will want to use a program like handbrake to rip the DVD and then Toast to burn your backup. Although I would try on a different computer.
  3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Jan 1, 2007
    Absolutely ...... you need a computer with much higher spec.