DVD Copying Made Legal And Easy

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, Nov 13, 2002.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I saw an article on this on CNN. This software lets you just put in your dvd disc and make an exact copy of it. They fought it in court and they can legally sell it. Its called DVD Copy X. I was wondering if anybody has ever used this. It is only for Windows and I was curious if anybody has tried using the software under Virtual PC with Windows XP or 2000. Here is there web site. Just thought you guys may find this interesting.

iJon

2. diorio macrumors 6502a

I've been seeing lots of DVD burners and accessories in some PC catalogs. I wasn't sure when they came out, but I was surprised.

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do you mean DVD X Copy?
    I'm off to KaZaA to look for a *demo* ;) of it now, I don't have a DVD writer in my PC but I do in my Mac. I would have thought you can rip the DVD files on the PC, copy them to the Mac then burn away....I'll let you know how I get on.

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I suggest you try DVD Backup... it's an OS X app, and it actaulyl let's you burn rented DVDs, unlike this DVD X Copy.

irmongoose

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have DVD backup, but as we all know most DVD's are much larger than the 4.7Gb that you can fit on a DVD-R, I was hoping that this new software would edit the files on the DVD that put all the VOB's in order and span it over multipul discs.

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

True that, man. Go for it and tell us how it goes.

irmongoose

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sadly I can't find a *demo* anywhere, and theres no way I'm paying $99 for it until I know it will to exactly as I want it to. :(

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just found this in the DVDXCOPY FAQ:
    Looks like I might have to wait a while before I can test it out. :(

10. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I can't see how this program will be legal for long, but here's my take on the shortcomings...

1. PC based. Big problem for most of us mac users.
    2. Most Hollywood movies come on DVD-9's, the gold colored ones, so...
    2a. you'll need two DVD-R's to fit it and you'll have to get up in the middle of your movie to switch the discs.
    2b if you choose an option from one menu for a feature that is now on the second disc how will that work? maybe, big maybe, if the program is samrt enough to copy the entire menu structure to both discs.
    3. DVD-R's aren't that cheap, at least good ones still cost around $5 so 2X $5, rental fee of $4, $99 for software, $$$burner, and two hours of your time and you're almost breaking even with a pair of DVD's that you have to manually switch, and see 2b.

Swing by Hollywood Video and Blockbuster and you'll be able to find lots of "previously viewed" DVD's on sale for $10, and most new releases can be had for under $20 anyway.
    As tempting as it may sound at first, I think that if you really add it up, most people will pass on this IMO.

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    agreed- hollywood is safe for the moment. it is only a matter of time until larger dvd-r's are available and cheap. they already can fit a dvd-r into a titanium powerbook...

12. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

Sorry guys, i swear i posted a link, oh well you guys already know what im talking about. I was wondering all the same things you guys were too. We had a dvd studio pro seminar for our apple store here and he explained this. there are two types of dvd discs dvd 5's and 9's. 5's hold 4.7, which this program recommend and 9's hold like 8 or 9 gb. most dvd movies use the dvd 9's. which causes a problem with this program. from what ive been told about the dvdr 9's from our dvd seminar is that the movies and dvd r9's are made together in a factory. there for you cannot buy the blank discs. just wanted to see your guys opinions. i almost considered buying this but i have a feeling i would be wasting my time after what i remembered from that dvd serminar.

iJon

13. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

DVD 9's cannot be burned since the information is read from the core to the edge, pauses for a second and then reads from the edge back to the core. There is no writer that can burn this way, and nothing on the horizon to be able to do it because of the spaces involved and the very nature of spinning discs. All DVD-9's are pressed at the replication plant.
    When we make DVD-9's here we have to use software proofers, or resort to a couple other tricks for quality control, but it's still a major pain. The thing that gets me though, is that DVD's in general are very touchy about where things reside and how to get to them. Such things as the GPRM settings wouldn't be saveable between two discs since the GPRM's all reset to zero when you hit eject. And the GPRM's are the way the DVD keeps track of where it is and what was played and what's supposed to play next. Also what happens when you hit the layer break?
    I guess I have to go to that site and ask some questions.