Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I have two separate questions. The first is how do you rip a dvd into say a divx5 or avi file? My second is how do you copy dvds directly to another dvd and is it possible to get an image file of a dvd to then burn onto a dvd? Thank you very much for your time and effort.
Thanks,
Stephen

tigerkachel

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
Can I also use toast titanium, I am looking for a software which I can use to copy cd's and dvd's as I have already lost a lot of them because of damage

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
DVDibbler rips a 90 minute DVD to DivX in about 4 hours on a Dual 1GHz PM G4. The encoder it uses (mencoder from the mplayer project) isn't multithreaded so only works on the one processor so an imac of the same clockespeed should take a similar amount of time.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
sorry i need a little more guidance. Say i want to rip a dvd what program would i use and how would i go about setting it up? I tried dvdibbler and it didn't really work for me.
Thanks,
Excalibur313

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by excalibur313
sorry i need a little more guidance. Say i want to rip a dvd what program would i use and how would i go about setting it up? I tried dvdibbler and it didn't really work for me.
Thanks,
Excalibur313

1st get DVDBackup 1.3

2nd get DVD2oneX

3rd get Toast

DVDBackup decodes the DVD, DVD2oneX makes it small enough to fit on a 4.7GB DVD and Toast burns the DVD to disc.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
i have one of the new powerbooks and when i double click on the dvdbackup program it loads and then exits out. Is this because the powerbook isn't supported yet? If so what else can i use?

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
i have one of the new powerbooks and when i double click on the dvdbackup program it loads and then exits out. Is this because the powerbook isn't supported yet? If so what else can i use?

I have the new PB as well and everything works fine. DVDBackup is a Stuffit file (like a Zip file).. it'll extract it to a folder and it should be in there to install. I'm guessing that is what is happening with you.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
hmm i tried osex and i have similar problems when i run it. It exits out as soon as it is opened. Anyone know of possible solutions to this?
Thanks again,
Excalibur313

SLJ

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
any dvdrip program can do it in one goes... 3 applications to rip a dvd is not handy... the process is far too long... I was playing with a Super DVD Ripper program for XP, it rip a DVD to 700MB Divx files in 4hrs and one applicaiton and one button as well... I tried iRipDVD for OSX, toook forever, no luck with DVDibbles, and the Mencoder or soemthing like that... sometime work but 90% of times.. no audio encoder and quit... anyone can name one application to solve this mystery.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
i also tried running dvd2onex and ran into the same problem with the program failing to open. Why is this happening?
Thanks,
Excalibur313

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I tried dvdibbler and it didn't really work for me.
Thanks,
Excalibur313
At what part doesn't it work and were you trying the latest version? Some of the older versions were less than useful. It tends to need a bit of coaxing to work properly but once you get the hang of it then it's pretty straightforward. I've ripped at least half a dozen DVDs with it with no problems...

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
well when i have a dvd in the drive what do i put as the source? I tried typing what it referred to the dvd as when you go to available drives but it doesn't work.
Thanks,
Excalibur313

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
it says that dvdribbler application has either been not installed or incorrectly installed

To me it sounds like the programs haven't been installed properly. Everything works fine for me (DVDBackup and DVD2oneX).. easy as pie. What I would do is remove the programs you installed and then reinstall them... hell, reboot if you want but that shouldn't be necessary. Other than that I'm too much of a Mac noob to tell you what else to do.

kenyabob

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2003
San Francisco
so there isnt a single app that will do all the seperate pieces together? I have toast, is there ONE additional program I can get that will copy the dvd for me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.