DVD copying

Discussion in 'Community' started by davidc2182, Sep 11, 2003.

1. davidc2182 macrumors regular

Although I really hate commercial DVDs because a lot of times the special features dont work on Macs, I would like to know if there was a way to make legal back up copies of my DVDs on my Mac? I know there are windows programs like DVD X copy but what about mac?

2. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

That's what I am using too. It works great.

groovebuster

3. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

That is the second step. It doesn't do a backup of the DVD, it just "crunches" the backup to a size that it fits on a DVD-R which only has one layer.

groovebuster

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

DVDibbler

Useless webpage but the software itself is very good. Uses mencoder to rip DVDs to variety of formats including DiVX

5. The Shadow macrumors regular

Many questions for you DVD burn hounds

What about if you want to back up videos and convert them to didgital format. Are there any Mac applications to defeat the encryption?

I ask because I haven't bought a DVD writer, but I will get a new powermac next year and I want to copy all my videos as well as my DVDs. I am aware of plenty of Windos shareware for such tasks. But in the absence of the new Adobe thing, unless your copying an existing DVD, creating your own DVD is an absolute nightmare for them - working out all the compression settings, getting audio to sync etc.

So how good is iDVD & Studio Pro? Are all these problems beat, or are there stills issues to fiddle with?

Thanks.

6. davidc2182 thread starter macrumors regular

so?

so all these programs copy the entire DVD menus, special features, etc?

7. veedubdrew macrumors regular

I have something similar to ask here. If I make a home movie in iMovie and burn it to DVD in iDVD how can I duplicate the DVD if I ever want to make more copies for friends/family? I have all my home movies on my HD and 80 GB disappears pretty quickly this way! I'm afraid to delete them in fear that I can't make more copies from the DVDs I burn.

Also, if there is a way in OSX to copy iDVD home-made movies, does it retain menu effects and settings?

Thanks!

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Toast Titanium should do perfect DVD Copies and should save all your settings. Try it.

This goes from DVD to DVD. Make sure you have a second player if you choose to do this.

If not, and you want to save the DVD to your desktop then reburn the entire DVD, use DVD Backup 1.3.