DVD copying!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 1macker1, Apr 5, 2004.

1. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I have some DVD's that i want to back up to DVD, is there any software that can do this. DVD copy and MacTheRipper only copies the files to the hard drive, I want to be able to burn them back to DVD.

2. briankonar macrumors regular

it amazes me how often this topic comes up...DO SOME RESEARCH!!!

1. DVDBackup (DVD to HD, - encrypt.)
    2. DVDRemaster (compress Video_TS to < 4.7 GB)
    3. DVDImager (removes DB_Store files, etc)
    4. Disk Utility (burn disk image to DVD)

i must have posted this over a dozen times by now...there are many alternatives, but this is what i use.

3. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

Thanks for the info, i'm sure someone else will ask again in the near future:)

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

They are on target with DVDBackup.

But the use of DVD2One and Toast will speed your process.

5. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

i tired to find DVD2One but couldnt

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i don't mean to be rude, but....

scroll up the page.
    under the "page 2" tab, you see a link that reads "search".
    use it.

again sorry if this sounds rude (your probably new), but to us regulars, seeing about 3 dvd copying threads a week is annoying.

i realize it might be hard to sift through such a big search with too many threads, but it saves us all time....

reality

7. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

No problem, but i'm not new. But I've already search for the program and only got forums, not the actual program. It was at version tracker, but for some reason they took it down.

8. Riot_Mac macrumors regular

1. dvdbackup
    2. dvd2onex (take video_ts from dvdbackup and compress it)
    3. toast (take the video_ts and audio_ts from dvd2onex and drag it into toast and burn a data dvd.
    3 steps

:D

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

For some reason (and I know I've posted this before) DVDBackup ain't working in Panther. But even now I can't seem to remedy the problem.

So I use MacTheRipper.

10. Frisco macrumors 68020

I have had no problems with DVDBackup in Panther. It's the same version I was using in Jag.

11. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

MacTheRipper is better than DVD backup. You can only copy the main feature (which should be smaller than 4G) so you wouldnt need DVD remaster. But U might be able to do this with DVD backup.

12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I believe what realityisterror means is use the search to search the forums before posting a question. That way you could have found the same thread probably 6 different times and saved someone from writing their answer all over again.

I know this lack of searching seems to be turning into a major sore point for many of us on Macrumors. On that note, I will say the search and what it searches is not super obvious (yes, I know know it says search forum if you click on it) but maybe a "Forum Search" button/link should be placed right below each short forum listing on the home page similar to the "more..." link. I know I thought for quite a long time that the search link under Page 2 meant search the site "news" or internet. Just something to think about.

13. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

I did the search, but they didnt give any useful information. Some people said used DVDcopy then just burn to the dvd using Disk utility, which i know isn't correct. So that's why I asked the question again.
    But all in all, the suggested DVD burning method worked, so i guess we can end this thread.

14. Soire macrumors regular

hey all, do one of these programs allow you to import the DVD video, and I mean full quality MPEG-2 into full quality DV to edit? What I mean is can you edit parts of an encoded DVD together using iMovie or FCP? Thanks.

15. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

you need to buy dvdxdv for that. however, dvdxdv doesn't crack encryption, so if you're trying to take bits and pieces from css/macrovision discs you'll have to use dvdbackup and then dvdxdv. this is of course assuming fair use, such as for a visual aid in a classroom presentation for Philosophical Issues in Film. www.dvdxdv.com I bought it and it's worth the money. it saved me a lot of time and trouble in compiling my demo (with clips from movies I've made).

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

here's a good OS X DVD ripping tutorial. also at the top of that page there's a link to a more in-depth tutorial that has pictures and is downloadable as well.

and i haven't ripped many DVDs myself, but i'm thinking... why can't you just make a image of the DVD with Toast or Disk Utility, then open the image in Toast and burn it to a DVD? :confused: you can probably tell i'm a real Mac person. pardon me if i'm making the whole process too easy. :p

17. phonemonkey macrumors regular

I'm not wanting to burn any dvd's but saw the thread. could Disk Utility do the whole process as long as you burned the disk image to a dvd-r? Just for my info, I don't even have a dvd burner.

18. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

no no no. seeing "new powerbooks next tuesday" threads are annoying. :cool:

19. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

two reasons: 1. the encryption on the source disc precludes creating a disk image, and 2. commercial DVDs are the 9GB variety and writable DVDs are the 5GB variety.

20. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

ah, thanks for explaining that. :) at least now i know exactly why i'm putting myself through the pain of using all of those apps just to copy a DVD. :p