DVD (data) for mac and pc (problem)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bozigle, Jan 30, 2007.

1. bozigle macrumors regular

Hi,

I just burned a bunch of dvd+dl containing pictures and video clips using toast 7 titanium from my iMac G5 using the option dvd for pc and mac
    i check some of the dvd from my pc laptop (XP) at the office and the G5 everything was fine.
    I sent the dvds around and people are all complaining that they can't see anything (empty disc) fron the dvd.
    I'm sure there is something on it since i check from XP before sending them so what did happend?
    Do you think the post office has some secret weapon to fry my dvds? or do you have experienced and hopefully solved the problem.

Thanks for your help
    bozigle

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Each brand blank optical medium is different. Each optical disc burner is different. Each reader is different. Without testing each combination, there is no guarantee that it will work. The other thing is that burned optical discs can lose their data, particularly if they have prolonged exposure to light. If your discs passed through an Xray scanner, I would think it indeed possible that they were wiped.

Takeaway message: Use quality media. Test your burned discs on they kind of drive where you want them used. Protect them from light while not in use. Cross your fingers.

3. bozigle thread starter macrumors regular

Well i got other feed back today
    Some of the people who i sent it doesn't have any problem.
    Somebody made the supposition that there could be dvd player that couldn't read DL ??? how could that be? aren't regular movies pressed onto DL as well?

As for the brand of dvd+dl i never used the same and the ones i send reflect that as well... meaning i don't have an idea of what brand i sent to who

bozigle

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Basically, you have confirmed what I told you. I recommend that you use the very best blank media available. If this works for everyone, then progressive lower the rating until you find a lot which has problems. However, use only one type at a time. This will isolate the problematic media from the problematic readers.