DVD + - difference?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by holy MAC!, Jun 5, 2003.

1. holy MAC! macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2003
    what is the diff between DVD + R/Rw and DVD - R/RW......

are they just two different formats?????

can someone explain to me the pro/con of each and maybe what distinguishes them?????
  2. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    diffrent formats

There are some disputes over which is better. They are basicly 2 diffrent formats from 2 diffrent camps.

DVD-R is more popular and I have heard that DVD+R does not work in all DVD players. so.. I would go with DVD-R. Apple uses DVD-R

Sony has a DVD-+R burner.. I have it at work. Works great and you can do both formats
  3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Re: diffrent formats

Appkke has actually started using that sony drive in the iMacs. They don't support DVD+ but its there and presumably third party software could make use of it.

I think its starting to get to a point where DVD+ doesn't have many disadvantages. Is true, it won't work in all DVD players. But most new ones of any quality support the format with no problems. Its a bit liek CD-RW used to be. You didn't use to use that for burning music CD's cause it didn't work in all CD players. Now they all support it. I've been kind of getting the feeling that DVD+ will win the battle because its got a whole slew of other possibilities. Most of which I'm not familiar with, but I think I've read it has the potential to act more like a floppy disk would.
  4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    The DVD -R/+R formats are about the same, but the +RW format is more compactible with DVD players. Although the DVD-R format is currently the fastest. Also both formats do not work with all DVD players. If you are getting a DVD writer for the PC then I would get which ever is cheapest. I got a NEC 1000A DVD +R/RW for $200 a few months ago.