DVD DL compatibility w consumer DVD players

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2ms, Oct 30, 2006.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

The 8.5gb capacity of DL DVDs that we can burn with current Macs is pretty impressive. However, how common are DVD players and drives that can read them?

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I have a DVD player from 3 years ago that can read them (it's a Toshiba), so I would take a guess that the newer ones would be able to play them as well.

3. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Check out this site

VideoHelp.com

The industry has been using DL DVD's for quite some time. I would be surprised if you had any difficulty playing DL DVD's in any player.

4. techster85 macrumors regular

Just about any movie you've bought within the last couple years is probably a DL disk. I wouldn't worry too much about compatibility with consumer hardware. However, that's not to say that it's not a good practice to check your dvd in the crappiest player you can buy (i got mine for 23 bucks at Wal-Mart). It's a good way to test that everything is good on the dvd, and if that player will play the disc, then I don't worry about any other players having problems.

5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

That is my exact concern. With Xmas just around the corner, the cheap-o dvd players will be flyin off the shelves. I hope DL is supported even in this price range.

6. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

DL is supported in any price range.
    The only thing you have to worry about is the compatibility with various brands of writable DL DVD's. Some brands of DVD players are more picky than others.

In my experience the cheaper models will usually play anything.

7. JAT macrumors 603

Big difference between stamped DL and burned DL. Videohelp.com is a good recommendation. My IT guy can't seem to get Roxio (WinXP) to make a DL disc that works on his players. It can be an issue.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i learned this tip from the video person at the apple store in South shore plaza. All dvd players can read single layer DVD-R but not all of them can read DVD DL+R so if your handing out DVD to friends/presentations you better make it fit on a single layer DVD-R!

9. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

That's why God invented DL-R, which is the most supported DL format.

10. JAT macrumors 603

That should read "Most DVD players". Even -R is not absolutely perfect.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

don't know about the macpros and powermac but it isn't supported in the imac's superdrive :rolleyes: