DVD DL w/ Lightscribe....suggestions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zagato27, Oct 29, 2005.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I've got a G5 with a superdrive. I would like to upgrade the drive to a DL with lightscribe. Thought I'd found the perfect solution: LG DL external with lightscribe BUT it's not Mac compatible:( . Anyone know of any DL burners with lightscribe that are Mac compatible? I'd be interested in a internal IF someone could convince me that it is feasible for me, a rank novice with computers, to remove and install an internal DVD DL to replace my superdrive. Thanks in advance. Cheers

2. cube macrumors G4

What do you mean the LG is not Mac compatible? I have a 4163B here connected to my Cube (this one does not have LightScribe).

Now for LightScribe, you would need some third party software, which does exist. (As I haven't tried this, I would check with the software vendor first, out of paranoia, if it should work generically with basically any LightScribe drive).

Of course, to patch firmware, I think you need a PC.

3. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Just got back from Best Buy, and the LG external (sorry I don't have the model number but it's probably the latest DVD DL +/- etc.) I was referring to says Windows requirements but nothing about Mac compatibility.

4. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

5. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Light scribe has never worked correctly for anyone i know

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

lacie makes one. it's like $100 from newegg if you're in the us.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827187033 but they're out of stock.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101642 is the one i have in my pc. it's a benq drive and it's $53 dollars but i dont know about mac compatibility. if you need it external you can just get a firewire case.
    edit: installing an internal drive is easy in your average cluttered pc case so i'm sure it'd be fine in a power mac g5 tower.

7. cube macrumors G4

LG only cares about Windows. That doesn't mean they don't work with other platforms (again, not sure about the LightScribe).

The LaCie doesn't have DVD-RAM (that's why I only buy LG).

8. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

9. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I use a LaCie d2 external drive with LightScribe and it works fine with my PowerBook. I don't know of any internal ones that use LightScribe.

I like the LightScribe but I've found that the disks are still kind of a novelty. Best Buy and CompUSA usually don't seem to have LightScribe compatible CD's and DVD's in stock and when they do they are a bit expensive. I think they were still about $1.00 a CD the last time I bought some, I don't remember the cost of the DVD's.

10. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

What's the advantage of DVD-RAM?

11. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Just checked out LaCie site. The LaCie d2 DVD±RW with LightScribe looks good, Mac compatible. Their latest version is being bundled with Toast 7 Titanium. Sounds pretty neat. An external is looking better than replacing my superdrive. The LaCie would be able to work with my son's PC and wife's iBook. Thinking hard bout this one. Thanks to all for your input and possibly heading me in the right direction. Cheers

12. cube macrumors G4

- Greater reliability: Hardware verification of data as it is written. Bad sectors are marked as unusable, not written to.
    - DVD-RAM lasts at least 30 years
    - DVD-RAM can be rewritten more than 100000 times (DVD-+RW about 1000)
    - Works like a hard disk. You just drag files to it and that's it. No burning process. You can add/move/remove files/directories to a disk in as many sessions as you want, not having to burn everything at the same time.
    - Fast access to small files

13. cube macrumors G4

So you have a PC to keep current with firmware. Now you should ask this people if LightScribe should work with any LightScribe drive and tell us.

14. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

WOW! Learn something everyday:) , thanks for the info. More stuff to ponder. Darn if the LaCie does not support DVD-RAM:( . Even though the LG that I was originally looking at does support DVD-RAM I'm thinking that the LaCie might be the better way to go in that it is Mac compatible right out of the box. A bit worried about the software workaround mentioned earlier. Cheers

15. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Nice tip, thanks. If and when I get going on this I'll report back. Cheers

16. cube macrumors G4

From xlr8yourmac.com:

"unlike previous OS versions, OS X 10.4.x/tiger usually has basic iApps burn support for most drives without needing a Patchburn 4 profile, but sometimes patchburn is useful if some media (like DVD-RAM) isn't supported by default."

I don't know if DVD-RAM works with my LG wihout patchburn, as the first thing I did after connecting the drive was to install this software.

17. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Funny, you can download the LaCie Lightscribe Labeler software here:

http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/index.htm

Choose Product Family: DVD

I wonder if that would make the Lightscribe feature in the LG model work. I'm pretty sure the burning should work, but the Lightscribe you need the App. It would be interesting to see if that would work.

But anyway, LaCie Burners are awesomw and Toast is a great addition to the package. I got it with Toast 6 and then I just had to have v.7 when it came out, so I got it. You won't regret it.

18. cube macrumors G4

19. cube macrumors G4

I removed the Patchburn profiles and DVD-RAM still works, even from iTunes.

20. cube macrumors G4

Here is what you are looking for (from xlr8yourmac.com):

I suspect the Patchburn was superfluous, like in my case.
    If you want FireWire, you would have to put a 4166B in a FireWire case. It is possible in this case that you would have to remove it from the enclosure and put it inside the PC when you want to update firmware.

21. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

cube has great info and just to add some about Lightscribe, the label is applied only as fast as the dvd/cd will allow and faster media for Lightscribe labeling is on it's way. The speed as to which it labels is about 20-30 mins and may need to be burned two times to get the look you want. Some sites for dvd/cd buying (I buy my stuff here and have had very good CS from them) www.supermediastore.com
    If you have Toast then an external burner (burner/case of choice) is a great way to go but if not as it's a simple figure, buying from LaCie or say Plextor can have Toast 7 with it so the true cost of the unit is well...$50-80 less, as a different way to view it.
    DVD-RAM is nice and my LaCie doesn't have it but that was my choice. Since you may have iLife 05' no need for patchburn as stated before and last of my stop on a dime and give you nine cents change, if you buy a burner that has everything (case/burner/Toast/FW/USB) when you need a new drive just pull out the old and in with the new ;) :D

22. amontE macrumors newbie

Help with hp driver

I bought an hp dvd640e external dvd for my mac . I've been following your here and I can't find the LS hp 1.4.44.1 driver on HP's website. Can anyone please give me a link or email me at andymonte@gmail.com. I really want to burn labels directly to the disc.I'm using patchburn already so i don't have problems writing to the disc, but disclabel can't detect the drive whether attached via usb 2 or firewire. Your help is greatly needed and appreciated.By the way I'm using an iMac g5. Can you also teach me how to install the driver? Again thank you.

23. cube macrumors G4

24. amontE macrumors newbie

It's Working!!!!!!!

Cube you are a godsend thank you so very much.

25. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

There have been several revs of the lacie d2 with many different
    drives in it. I think now it's a benq drive.

I have a lacie d2 drive (w/nec nd-2500a) and it's great. I highly
    recommend the lacie external drive, at least the ones with NEC
    drives in them. NEC is the new Plextor if you ask me.

I really would love to get a lightscribe drive, but there are only
    a few manufacturers making media (hp,tdk,verbatim) and the media
    is ridiculously expensive. Until I can get unbranded Taiyo-Yuden
    lightscribe disc <$1 per dvd, forget it.

I recommend a cheap epson printer with cd/dvd inket printing
    and an NEC 3540a internal burner until then...

Good Luck