DVD drive trouble

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by latergator116, May 14, 2005.

1. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Yesterday I insatlled a Hitachi DVD-rom drive into my iBook and all was going well until I tried to use the drive. Whenever I play a DVD—whether I'm using apple DVD player, VLC, or mplayer—the drive spins at a very fast speed and does so until I stop playing the DVD. There is definately something wrong because I am able to hear it over my headphones at mid to high volume. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks.

2. macrumors 601

ITASOR

I would say:

Put your old HD back in and install an OS on it. Try to use the drive and see if it still does it. If it does, you may have messed up the drive while installing the HD. Other than that, I don't know anyway to test it besides the Apple Hardware Test CD.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Actually, I didn't install a new hard drive, just a DVD- tom drive. I will try the hardware test once I find the CD. Does anyone know of a software fix for this? I was thinking there might be a program that can control drive speed.

4. macrumors 6502a

ok

have the same problem with my powerbook oem dvd took it to apple store nothing wrong with it accordoing to them , disk uti =nothing

the fella told me some drives are louder than others as long as it works there isnt a problem

still going