DVD Duplicator

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mbutlerdelrio, Jan 30, 2003.

1. mbutlerdelrio macrumors newbie

Is it true that this thing can copy DVD movies directly?

Cyclone Tower CD and DVD Duplicators
    http://www.cdcyclone.com/prod_one_to_one_DVD.html

I thought this wasn't possible with normal 4.7 gig DVD's. I thought store bought DVD's were a 9 gig format unavailable to consumers......

Just curious if anyone new if this was accurate, and also if there is a good stable way to rip DVD's on my PowerMac?

Thanks,
    Mario
    :confused:

2. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

I don't know the answer, but that webpage has got to be one of the most annoying layouts around. Does everything seem to be at the bottom of the page or is my browser playing tricks on me? (Mozilla 0.5).

<<EDIT>>Yep, my browser is wonky. Looks fine in IE (on Win2000). Nevermind.

3. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

It's probably a data DVD / 4.7 GB Video DVD duplicator so corporations can do video presenations in house and duplicate them for distribution. that would be my guess.

4. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Can't happen

If you ever look at a blank DVD, you will notice a small ring about 1/4 way out from the center hub. This area on a purchased movie is where the encryption keys are kept. On blank DVDs, these tracks are, quite literally, never pressed onto the disk, so no track can be written there. Hense, you cannot duplicate a single layer disc.

Furthermore, many newer DVD titles are dual layered, single sided 9.4 gig disc. Since there are only 4.7 GB ( per side ) blank DVD-R discs for sale, and no near term hope for dual layered blanks, you could not dup many of the video discs out there anyhow.

Don't get me wrong, there are ways to copy and backup **your** DVDs via software, this device does not appear to do anything more than let you duplicate a disk you may have made ( data or home video ) using your superdrive.

Max

5. vniow macrumors G4

I doubt this is the same thing, but there was some software that pissed Hollywood off awhile ago that copied your DVDs bit for bit, the only catch is that if the DVD you were copying was over 4.7GB, it woulld span over two discs.[​IMG]

6. MacRoni macrumors member

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

does it not only copy the dvd files and stores it somewhere else (where one chooses to)?

8. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Time to whip out the dev tools

In the PC world, Pinnacle is/has released a program called 'Instant Copy". This thing will copy a ton of things. One of it's big features it that it will copy a DVD movie to DVD-R. If the movie is a dual layer disk, it recompresses it to fit on a standard disk. The quality is actually really good. If you have ripped a disk to your hard drive, you can convert those back to DVD for archiving.

Only one catch though. You cannot directly rip a DVD if it has encryption. In those cases, you probably need to use a DVD decryption program.

Final word -- IF YOU CHOOSE TO TRY THESE PROGRAMS, PLEASE MAKE SURE THEY ARE RUN AGAINST DVDS YOU PURCHASED..

Max

P.S. Anyone on the Mac side wan't to try to write something like this? <grin>